Enthusiast OpenWrt device for 1000mbps link speed

Ahoy ahoy friends.
For a long time i have been using my OpenWrt device with a huge amount of futures, mwan3, adblock, QoS policy enforcement, DNS over HTTPs, some VPN connections.
Now i received a 1gbps cable connection connected to my Fritz! 6591 router. My OpenWrt Raspberry Pi 4 is working behind my Fritz! 6591 router, and all ports are forwarded to it.
Unfortunately, now with my 1 gbps connection, my OpenWrt is bottlenecking. While downloading i only receive about 600mbps, and 30mbps upload. When connected directly to the Fritz! 6591 i get 981mbps download and 57mbps upload.
So i consider switching to a new, more powerful device.
Can you guys recommend some solution?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
Maybe I misunderstood but that setup sounds like double NAT. Have you tried putting your cable modem in bridge mode?

ulpian

1 Like

Thanks a lot.
Yep it's double NAT, that's how it looks like.

--> Cable connection ---> Cable modem ---> OpenWrt ----> Client

Behind the cable modem i got full throughput, behind the OpenWrt device not. So my Raspberry Pi 4 with OpenWrt is bottlenecking somehow.

But yes, i use double NAT, even without double NAT the OpenWrt device still has to do the NATing.

2 Likes

Are you using a USB dongle on your RPi4?

No, i'm using the internal LAN interface.

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X, or the Lite model if your budget can stretch to it.

Native gigabit speed on all interfaces, and OpenWRT has been ported to it.

So you're using a router on a stick setup? Based on testing others have previously done with the RPi4 it should be able to route at gigabit speeds. What's the CPU usage like during downloads?

yeah... on a stick with sqm (and/or additional services)... ~650 is pretty decent... adding a usb nic and tweaking may get you to 900Mb/s but it's likely not worth the hassle for most...

basically any x64 with 2core+ above 2.4Ghz preferrably AES... I tend to like NUCs...

1 Like

Thanks a lot guys!
I think i'll go for a cheap 1U server, something Atom based or 1150 for 100 bucks.
Unfortunately the availability of all these NUCs is quite difficult in my location.
Thanks a lot friends!

1 Like

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

If you don't mind cutting edge you could research if a used r7800 is stable enough for you with NSS enabled. Using its NSS hardware (beta!!) it can give you the numbers you want. With pure CPU it is very stable, but won't handle the bandwidth you want.

hello just a suggestion linksys e8450 aka belkin rt3200 is good and cheap if you are a small budget

i have make many test and with sqm on upload i up to 550 and download 500 too but my download isp has a good bufferbloat so i have put 0 download and 550 upload i'm play to video games and my game with sqm is very fantastic thanks again to OpenWrt :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just put together a little router using OpenWRT and a Raspberry pi 4 compute module 2Gb lite version using the dual gigabit carrier board from dfrobot. Runs great with 21.02.0-rc4 with irqbalance. I did have to roll my own image to include kmod-r8169 for the second network card, complete instructions are here: https://gist.github.com/martin-niklasson/6912a7e5ba49b92801d54766f1d7277a

My ISP provides 1000/50.

Using SQM layer cake both up and down shaped to 800/40, I get A+ on the waveform bufferbloat test
with SQM

here's a screenshot of the cpu use
https://imgur.com/a/1aXt947

For comparison, to see the value of the SQM, I ran a test without:
without SQM
cpu use was quite a bit lower
https://imgur.com/a/QnYDXl9

6 Likes

If you can get your hands on an Odroid H2+, then your golden.

It has dual 2.5gbit ethernet, Intel J4115 quadcore cpu with aes, and ddr4 memory. Unfortunately duo to components shortage it is hard to come by.

Apparently not going to happen any time soon. But while hardkernel does not seem to be able to get parts, seeed still seems to have Odyssey Blue for sale. Go figure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.