Enable Support for 5/10 MHz channel width on ath10K based wifi

@apcameron:

by simply patching ath10k for supporting it like the ct patch does. the firmware does support it. the dd-wrt 9888 firmware is based on the ct firmware and uses the same codebase. according to the ath10k-ct driver adhoc is always disabled if no ct firmware is in use. the ct firmware provides a special flag of it. the firmware is use do not provide such a flag. since it would collide with other ct firmware features. so i simply patched ath10k to allow ad-hoc like its done in the ct firmware

What is the special flag I need to look for?

its just a firmware flag which tells the ath10k-ct driver that this is a ct firmware. review the ath10-ct firmware. its easy to find.

look for ATH10K_FW_FEATURE_WMI_10X_CT

@BrainSlayer Have you tested it with the DD-WRT firmware and the QCA9888. Someone tested for me with a QCA4019 and that seems to work but with the same patch the QCA9888 seems to stop working if I set it to 5 or 10MHz. At one point it seemed to work for a short time then stops transmitting.

yes i tested them all. but not explizit 9888. just 9984. but as i said. not all chipsets do support 5 mhz / 10 mhz by baseband. qca has industrial grade and consumer variants of the same chipsets and that makes the difference here. but its possible to write a workaround for non supported chipsets. this is done by detecting some chipset on 9984 and 998x. for 9888 i dont know the id's yet. can you provide me a kernel log with the ath10k driver load output by email? then i will be able to fix this for your card. on industral grade chipsets and 5 and 10 mhz operation works by a simple baseband register flag. for everything else i wrote a pll clock based variant

i updated the firmwares in my repo with some changes for qca9888. please give it a try

src/router/mac80211/ath10k-firmware-38eeda3ae6f90fde5546bdd48ee4ff3090f238c0/ath10k/QCA9888/hw2.0

@BrainSlayer I have sent you the information by e-mail. Please let me know if you need any other information from me.

have you already tested the latest firmware i made? i mean this should fix the issue too

@BrainSlayer Thank you for your help. We have now successfully tested on a device with a QCA4019 Chipset and a device with a QCA9888 Chipset

1 Like

Do you still have this patch ?
I have a Qualcomm 9880 so I tried your QCA988X firmware but my device crashes when I turn the radio in monitor mode and set 5MHz width channel.

Just FYI - ath10k devices were created after the 5 and 10 MHz channels were removed from the WiFi standard.

Why were they removed? I don't see the reason. What's more, those bandwidths are very necessary so that there are more channels that do not overlap. I mean, who thought of using 20 MHz in such a small space? I'm talking about 2.4 GHz.

https://www.ieee.org/ would be the address to talk to.

1 Like

It doesn't tell me anything to send me a link.

It's the correct answer to your question:

In the late 90s, early 00s when IEEE 802.11(b|g) was created some people in the IEEE thought it's a good idea.
So, if you think 5/10 MHz channels are also a good idea, get in touch with them.
But i don't think they're going to change that...

1 Like

I know but is there a way to make ath10k devices support these channels ?

Have a look at https://github.com/aredn/aredn
You will find all the patches we use in the patches folder.
Here is one of them https://github.com/aredn/aredn/blob/main/patches/742-5-and-10mhz-ath10k-ct-support.patch

2 Likes

Ty for posting this. I asked AREDN years ago (I never received an answer).

I wanted to checkin about the qca988x firmware offered by @BrainSlayer. I'm using the CT firmware right now because, unlike the other QCA firmware, this one have IBSS missing .. which seems like an odd thing. Anyone know why?

Thanks

ibss support is included in my firmware. you should consider that my firmware is based on the ct firmware. i just added my own custom features and also added 802.11s support which is not supported by the ct firmware.