Electronics project on old hardware (Netgear DG834Gv3)

I would like to use my old DG834Gv3 with OpenWrt to connect equipment Ethernet<->WiFI.
The router won't be connected to the internet and I am not concerned about security.
The table of hardware page suggests using Backfire 10.03.1.
The https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/dg834g.v3 page says the last official build for 4/32 devices was 19.07.10.
Can anyone suggest which version is the more likely to succeed (if any).
Thanks, Alex.

Even 19.07 will seriously struggle to run on a 4/32 device.

19.07 is, of course, old and EOL -- it's fully unsupported now. I can appreciate that you aren't concerned about security and that it won't be connected to the internet, but even with that in mind, it's not really a good idea to run such an old version, purely from a supportability perspective.

That said, if you are trying to connect an ethernet-only device to wifi -- therefore using the device as a wifi sta mode device -- you're going to need something like relayd or wds in order to create a bridge from wifi to ethernet. If you're going the other way (allowing wifi devices to connect to a wired network by operating in AP mode), you should be able to do it out of the box.

Either way, the system it may not run well because of the severely limited RAM and minimal flash (you probably will not even be able to fit the packages for relayd if that's what you need).

You should really look at ecycling that device and buying something more capable.

1 Like

You can reuse led strip like install arduino to blink them, or attach step motor to clap antenna against wall.
Or with fancy drilling you can use it as raspberry zero w case. With led strip and motor.

1 Like

Hi @AlexFisher

if you are familiar with CLI ...
you could drop whole LuCI and some PPP* protocols
even IPv6 if you don't need it

last time when i built 19.07.10 from source, stripped down packages, 4/32 DumbAP, it has about 600K free space

but, yes, as @psherman said ... it is old, and if you have some question how to configure things, well ... it is hard to remember what was the actual tricks 5 years ago :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi psherman & brada4 & NPeca75.
Thanks for the reality check. I think I have an issue with stuff that still works but has become 'useless' - I'll try to get over it :slight_smile:
Alex...