EdgeRouter X hanging, please share your router's bootloader

As some others, I experience sporadic hang-ups with my EdgeRouter X, like once in every 2-3 days. I'm running OpenWrt 19.07.5. I've tried a few troubleshooting steps, like disabling NAT software/hardware flow offloading, without any luck.

Some people reported that upgrading the bootloader may help. That however would require going back to the stock firmware and then flashing OpenWrt from scratch.

My bootloader is U-Boot 1.1.3 (UBNT Build Version: e50_001_1e49c) (Jul 27 2018 - 04:44:52). This string can be found inside router.mtd0.bin file which can be downloaded with Luci at System, Backup/Flash firmware, Save mtdblock contents, u-boot.

I wonder if someone with a stable EdgeRouter X could share their bootloader file, so I could try flashing it with mtd. That'd be greatly appreciated. The bootloader can be downloaded via Luci as above.

Thank you.

Have you tried following this tutorial ?
It's more safe than updating the bootloader directly in openwrt.
After back to stock, install Edgemax firmware > 1.10 & update bootloader by command: add system boot-image

1 Like

Thanks, I haven't tried that yet as it requires a USB-TTL cable which I don't have. Not a problem to get one and open the unit, but that'd be my last resort :slight_smile:

A follow-up, cross-posting from Reddit. I've now done this:

It's to early too tell if my EdgeRouter X is going to stop hanging now, but hopefully this may help others and the future me.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.