Easiest install of OpenWRT on PLC

Hello, I intend to use OpenWRT only to extend the life of PLCs connected via Ethernet (I had models whose proprietary firmware dates from around 2016 and I find it risky for network equipment). I don't intend to use any advanced options for the moment.

Being a beginner, I want a very easy installation (flash type of OpenWRT binary file via WebUI).

I understand that 4MB Flash/32MB RAM models are to be avoided and that TP-Link TL-WPA8630P PLCs could be flashed in this way. However, the kit includes :

• 1st block model TL-PA8015P non-Wifi
  • the TL-WPA8630P Wifi receiver

If we flash the system plugged into the socket, who will be flashed?
  • Only the TL-WPA8630P? Should we then buy 2x1 TL-WPA8630P instead of the kit, and flash each in turn?
  • or TL-WPA8630P and TL-PA8015P?

The site has an impressive number of references, but unfortunately lacks models that are easy to flash. I was literally lost when faced with the documentation.

Please, if you know of a model that's easy to flash, don't hesitate!

Many thanks for your kind help!

All devices with integrated PLC controller that I know of consist of the PLC controller with its own firmware, attached to a network switch, and a SoC with WiFi, also attached to the switch. OpenWrt only runs on the SoC with WiFi, not on the actual PLC controller.
So in your case with the kit, the 8015P does not run OpenWrt - it can't. The same (or at least a similar) IC is also in the 8630P to handle PLC communication.

While the 8630P is supported, it is currently only covered by the "tiny" target, leaving you with very little memory and features. The problem with this and AFAIK also the 8631P is that they keep a copy of the PLC firmware in main flash, reducing the space available for OpenWrt even further.

3 Likes

Wow, that's what we call a very clear explanation! Thank you very much for these details, which have clarified my unclear knowledge of OpenWRT.

In the end, if I want PLCs without Wifi function, I'll have to find a manufacturer who seriously follows up the updating of its controllers firmware over time. I'm not sure this still exists in this age of programmed obsolescence.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.