EAP1300 - Revert To Stock Firmware Help

So I have a set of 4 EAP1300s that I bought off ebay. Unfortunately, they came set with the reset button disabled in the software, and the username and password to which is unknown.

SO... I hooked up to the serial port, and was able to get OpenWrt installed thinking I could then revert back to the stock firmware so that everythings wiped and start over with the factory settings....

Well openwrt installs just fine, but getting back to stock firmware seems to be a problem. The instructions reference the file "openwrt-ipq40xx-engenius_eap1300-squashfs-factory.bin" however, I can't seem to find this file posted anywhere to download. Trying to go from openwrt to an OEM firmware from the OEMs website using either the GUI or commandline results in a forced write and failure. I'm assuming it's because you're supossed to use that revert factory.bin file above.

Anyone know where that file is or can point me in the right direction?

I am very interested why you will go back to stock and get rid of OpenWrt...aren't we here 'cause we want to use OpenWrt? :roll_eyes:

You get the OEM file from EnGenius.

I don't see that. In fact, there's no "Revert to OEM" section on the page whatsoever (here: https://openwrt.org/toh/engenius/eap1300#installation). This is likely because the OEM firmware is based on OpernWrt.

You get the OEM file from EnGenius <

Have tried this multiple times no dice. The OEM firmwares on their site have not worked.

I don't see that. In fact, there's no "Revert to OEM" section on the page whatsoever (here: https://openwrt.org/toh/engenius/eap1300#installation). This is likely because the OEM firmware is based on OpernWrt. <

Not to be arrogant, but Incorrect sir. If you go to https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=2b4ac79a791d9451f601d494dde2e71864174358 which is listed on the wiki, it refers back to the GIT page: https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=2b4ac79a791d9451f601d494dde2e71864174358

Down towards the bottom there are very specific instructions:

1. Revert to EnGenius EAP1300
  • To flash openwrt-ipq40xx-engenius_eap1300-squashfs-factory.bin by using sysupgrade command and "DO NOT" keep configuration.

• $ sysupgrade –n openwrt-ipq40xx-engenius_eap1300-squashfs-factory.bin

In this case.... no. I don't want to use OpenWrt. Maybe I'll change my mind later. But I want the default firmware. I use OpenWrt and DD-WRT on several other pieces of hardware. For my access points, I like the firmwares to be consistent and the factory firmware is good enough.

Unfortunately I can't do that unless I flash it to open-wrt first because it's all locked, and hence i had to break out the serial port to even write a new flash.

• In the future, it might help to post the information you're using (so nobody has to guess)
  • Your links don't work - but I was able to browse there
  1. Revert to EnGenius EAP1300
    To flash openwrt-ipq40xx-engenius_eap1300-squashfs-factory.bin by using sysupgrade command and "DO NOT" keep configuration.
    $ sysupgrade –n openwrt-ipq40xx-engenius_eap1300-squashfs-factory.bin

Interesting. Maybe you should email the person who made the commit. That absolutely makes no sense that one could use OpenWrt - and expect the result to be OEM.

(And there's no factory file for that model.)

Good idea... i'll see if i can get a response.

That absolutely makes no sense that one could use OpenWrt - and expect the result to be OEM.

Yeah I dunno... I just work here :wink:

If anyone actually knew the command line for the stock firmware, I can GET to the commandline no problem! I just don't know the command or if one exists to force reset to factory defaults. I would fully expect there would be some option to do so.... That would be a much easier path here. Otherwise.... I know I can get OpenWrt installed.... just trying to find a workaround here without having to flash and reconfigure 30 devices.

First of course you'd need stock firmware, possibly from here:

This should have a name like "EAP1300-v3 etc .bin" Offer this file to sysupgrade (always with the -n option) and see if that works.

Stated this above -

Then you probably need to modify the headers of the stock firmware to make it look like an OpenWrt sysupgrade, which is a direct image of the data to place in the kernel / firmware partition of flash. Examining the OEM file vs the OpenWrt factory file vs the OpenWrt sysupgrade file with a hex editor may show that it is not complicated.

Another approach is to see if the bootloader has any sort of recovery mode. That could accept OEM firmware directly and flash it without involving OpenWrt at all.

These are the breakout options I can get to:

2: Load Linux System code then write to Flash via TFTP.
4: Entr boot command line interface.
6: Load Linux Kernel then write to Flash via TFTP.
7: Load Linux filesystem then write to Flash via TFTP.
8: Load Linux uboot then write to Flash via TFTP.
9: Load Boot Loader code then write to Flash via TFTP.
e: Erase Boot Loader ENV config.

I do have a TFTP server up and running. Just not overly familiar with which option to go with here. So far I've been dealing with option 4 only.

After entering the CLI with 4, try help and printenv to see if any recovery related commands or macros are listed.

Also try booting up with the reset button held down, watch the serial to see if any recovery mode is entered.

Tried that 2nd option already and in various forms. No go on the reset button. I even soldered a new button thinking maybe the button was bad?? Anyways still no go.

I'll try the CLI option 4 and do a printenv here shortly and report back. Thank you!

Well tried just about everything, and was just about to give up, when the committer got a hold of me and got me the file I was looking for! openwrt-ipq40xx-engenius_eap1300-squashfs-factory.bin.

Has to be done from the commandline but works! How do I get this file uploaded someplace in the target release folder for anyone else that needs to do this?

1 Like

Is it OpenWrt or OEM???

If OEM, you might want to ask where the committer originally got the file.

That's not how it works. The binaries at downloads.openwrt.org were all automatically built from the official source code. When a commit is accepted into the source code, the binary will automatically be built and posted in the snapshots directory and any releases that it is part of.

So I would expect to find that file in snapshots/targets/ipq40xx/generic, but right now there is nothing related to the EAP1300 there, suggesting that the system is broken at the moment.

If you need a different form of a binary (factory vs sysupgrade vs initramfs etc) than is available on the server you could also build it yourself from source or with Image Builder.

1 Like

It is a sysupgrade firmware file, but must be excuted at the CLI (GUI won't work).

Meaning - It will revert you back to OEM if you're on OpenWRT already. It's specific to that. It appears, the person I worked with, actually works at Senao as he emailed me from that email address.

Without this file, there is no easy way I could find to revert back to OEM. If you plunge off the deep end and decide to install OpenWRT.... you're pretty much stuck without this particular firmware file.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.