EA8500 Install Advice

^^ It sounds like you have a loose connection on one of the wires.

Thank you for replying so quickly. I tried resoldering all the wires as carefully as I could and I checked GND connection by checking contact from the '-' at the power connector to my wire. I am not sure how could I check the RX and TX... I'm thinking that maybe default firmware is not so bad at this point...

Which serial adapter are you using?

hey folks. i followed the instructions over at mrjcd and even though it booted to DD-WRT the FIRST time, i cant get it to do it again! i booted into DD-WRT and then tried to flash a .BIN file from OpenWRT which did NOT work, and now im back to 1.1.7.192977 in Linksys and cant use the same trick to get to DD-WRT again. any ideas? i go through the flash procedure as outlined over there and it SAYS its erasing and flashing but when i boot its the same firmware.... forever.... like a ZOMBIE!

@risole
what did you end up doing with your EA8500? as you can see from my post right above this one, i got it to boot ONCE with DD-WRT and then stupidly tried to go directly to OpenWRT from there and now i cant get it to get into DD-WRT again. i cant even telet in so i cant try the other partition... any ideas?

well if i was dumber i would be REAL dumb. kept reading forums and realized i was booting into the same partition repeatedly. so i power cycled quick 3 times and it switched partitions and there is my DD-WRT installation. i tried to install an older LINKSYS firmware so i could get OpenWRT on there but that didnt work as expected so im going to hang it up for now.

Hello! I just wanted to put it out there that I have a device wired up with serial and can provide remote access (to anyone with history of openWRT contribution) if anyone needs to test/debug.

EDIT:

I've been having a lot of trouble resetting the router to stock, but I finally found an image that worked!
http://mrjcd.com/Malachi/EA8500/Linksys-FW/FW_EA8500_1.1.3.166845_prod.img worked like a charm for me. FW_EA8500_1.1.4_169978_prod.img didn't work, and neither did any of the other FW_EA8500_1.1.4*. I was able to flash OpenWRT just fine from the 1.1.3 image!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum ClaireDesu and thank you for your contribution!

Just in case, another link (official site):
http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/FW_EA8500_1.1.3.166845_prod.img

sha-1 (613243ae4e9b6a936018b545d787254898660be2) correspond to @clairedesu's post.

2 Likes