EA7300, Dual Partition Support

Never mind :laughing:. Not needed! For this router, U-Boot automatically adjusts (changes) the bootargs, based on boot_part. Works so sweet - dual boot running here. Need to capture in PR's now.

Thanks!

1 Like

FYI, PR submitted,

1 Like

Excellent news, thank you.
It will simplify future update. I also have a MR8300 on which I easily switch from one partition to the other. But no such way on the EA7300.
I can see that the kernel is 5.10 to 5.15. Is there a possibility that the change will be ported to future 22.03 RCs ? Or only on future master snapshots ?

Folks seemed to want this on master -> once in place, it can be asked about backporting to 22.03. But first, need to get it in master :laughing:

Thanks!

Sounds logical. Thank you.

BTW, are you able to build your own image? If you do, you could pull my updates, run a build.

Yes of course, but I don't own the router. It's in a relative's home. I'm going there from time to time. So even if I build the image, I won't be able to test it within days.

NP, whenever you can - no panic. And remember, the first flash won't go the alternative partition :wink:

Actually partition A has OpenWrt and partition B has Linksys firmware, with the tweak of erasing s_env partition at boot. What is the scheme with your update ? I assume that I must start by flashing a factory image from Linksys, but from partition A or B ?

You can do either one :smile:. Meaning,

1. Flash from Linksys, using factory.bin => erases all settings of course, A will be OpenWrt.
  2. Flash from OpenWrt, A => A, and you can keep your settings.

The reason that 2 is A => A is because the files currently there flash to the same (active) partition. Once you install the upgrade the first time though (with the changes), then after that .. A => B, and B => A.

Clear as mud?

hm ... no :woozy_face:
I'm mailing you privately ...