E8450/RT3200 gigabit speeds tweaking?

More than happy with this. SQM enabled. earlier on in the post are the settings I'm using. irqbalance OFF and packet steering OFF.

:smiley:

I don't think I'll get any better........
Should I change my cpu governor? If I change to ondemand, there's a bug and my router turns off/doesn't reboot. I tried sched and that's fine.

Just wondering if I should change it.......

Weird did you set min freq as the wiki recommends when you set ondemand? I just run schedutil

I set:

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor

And tried rebooting; my router would turn off, no lights and wouldn't come back on until I pressed the power button to off/on...

Is it recommended to use: echo schedutil > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor?

I think you've reached a level where whatever you do will be imperceptible now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Until a proper fix is decided upon and implemented upstream, users should set the minimum frequency to 437500 Hz up from the default 300000 Hz in order to avoid a potential to hang on boot caused by firmware bug.

echo 437500 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_min_freq

This can be added to /etc/rc.local so it executes automatically by editing that file directly or through LuCI: System → Startup → Local Startup
-https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/e8450#preventing_the_potential_of_hangs_on_rebooting

Yeah in the RT3200 thread, it's recommended not to do that.

What you on about?

It's the ondemand that messes up the booting...

i don't see any significant difference between your latest bufferbloat tests.

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=a747b069-8c2c-4733-ab79-0a79655ce1f8
https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=e3317a3d-83d9-4eb3-8a6f-a69b400eb805
https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=21afc836-0be5-4d33-85c6-7feec293d764

i don't know exactly what settings you changed, but i don't see a big difference. so i conclude that you have reached a level where whatever you do, it doesn't change anything anymore.

Okay?
I was just sharing.

At least I don't have 100+ latency now. and the 'tests' are always the same now.
I don't have packet steering on, IRQ isn't installed, DNS is set to 8.8.4.4 and 900mbps download for SQM and 45mbps upload. fq_codel and simplest_tbf.

Also, I don't believe you're getting A+ via SW/HW on. I tried it, it goes well above 50+....

i don't bleieve it too, that's why i said the test is not reliable. i'm getting a A+ because my bandwidth is not saturated. The test is not working well for me.
But anyway, it works well for me with nothing else than sw/hw offloading. I don't like to install a lot of stuff that you don't know exactly what it does, it might create more problems than anything else.

btw, between A and A+, i don't see the difference. In fact I think I must have an A, and if so, I have no problem playing online FPS games while my wife watches TV in 1080p.

What can I do to stop the speed spiking/going up and down?

I think that was me who recommended that in the other thread, but Daniel pointed out later that it's only the lowest setting (300000) that results in the boot problem with on demand, 437500 works fine, but schedutil works at 300000 as you've already noticed, so you'll be ok with either.

This could be because this page is using some cpu resources, when i go to this page or in the switch page i can see in htop an increase of cpu load.

To fix the problem, it's easy, don't watch realtime graphs :joy:

Very helpful...... :joy:

1 Like

If any of you have Fast Ethernet devices (100Mbps) connected to the built-in switch, you may see huge performance drop with high ping times. Check this - Severe WAN performance degradation when Fast Ethernet devices are connected to a Gigabit switch and transfer data over LAN (probably present on most OpenWrt versions) - #11 by sppmaster

1 Like

Hello, can some one help me ? I have the linksys E8450 which has the RC5 and I followed the recommended steps:
-Preventing the potential of hangs on rebooting
-Change the default CPU governor

All as stated on the official OpenWrt site:

But I have a problem with my ADSL connection of 10 Mbit/s download and 700 Kbits download, yesterday when I upgraded to RC5 I did not notice anything and everything worked fine with QoSify, which is the only thing I have installed and configured the router and today that I restart the router I saw that it was giving me 3 megabits/s of download and an upload of 400 kbits/s I already tried and it is due to:
-Preventing the potential of hangs on rebooting
-Change the default CPU governor

When I eliminate them and restart the router everything works normally, but I don't know how necessary this is, I am a total novice and that is why I ask if it is so necessary or in this RC5 it is already corrected and this is not necessary and therefore it would be pertinent to delete these steps from the official OpenWrt website

There is no need to change the default governor -- actually MediaTek doesn't advertise CPU frequency scaling capabilities on that platform and all devices run at full speed all the time when using stock firmware. Surely, using cpufreq scaling to safe power and lower temperature (and hence potentially extending the device lifespan) is desirable. If that, however, gives you any problems, just don't do it. It's by no means mandatory and the hang-on-reboot only happens with the obsolete ondemand governor which anyway is not the default.

6 Likes