E8450/RT3200 gigabit speeds tweaking?

There was another report of the RT3200 shaping at 1Gbit rates. But I have seen other users complain they can only get about 500Mbit/s with this device.

So what rate can this device shape up to I wonder?

@colo could you repeat with irqbalance enabled?

1 Like

Well, with CAKE it's 500/600, but with fq_codel it's around 800/900...

1 Like

Guyz, i have a Totolink A8000RU, with the same MT7622. i use the OpenWRT snapshot for this device, without anything special installed, only Hw offloading, and it handles my 1Gbit Fiber line finger in the nose, Cpu load is around 1.5% during the speed test.

What if you enable CAKE?

Now enable CAKE and try.

1 Like

why i would do that ? i don't need to install anything.
This my speedtest, i have 1Gb/500Mb Fiber

Look at my Cpu Load during the test :

And this is my Bufferbloat result :

1 Like

You has a little bufferbloat, but minimum can you test with cake 700 700 and 600 600 et ainsi de suite

With irq balance, not packet steering :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is mine, with a heavy PS5 game downloading, software/hardware offloading on, packet steering on and irq installed.

There seems to be not much CPU usage. Will test bufferbloat in a bit.

This is my version: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r19090-34fd5e325a / LuCI Master git-22.058.70382-d29400e and kernel: 5.10.103

To see what speeds you get with CAKE!!!! :slight_smile:

How accurate is HTOP?

I have SEVERAL PS5 games downloading, I'm maxing my 1gbps and that's the CPU usage!!!!!! O_o

Install the package sysstat.

To trace CPU usage -

pidstat -T TASK 2 (which snapshots every 2 seconds)

To log the results (name the file whatever you want) -

pidstat -T TASK 2 | tee -a Testfile.txt

CTRL-C to end the trace.

Log file will be in the root directory.

1 Like

disable the hard/soft offloading and you'll see heavy cpu usage on 1 core :grinning:

irqbalance didn't change anything, and i don't use packet steering.
I don't know what changes i'm supposed to see when everything is working well.

We want you to try CAKE, to see if you're getting 1gbps then.

Thank you!

I have SEVERAL PS5 games downloading, I'm maxing my 1gbps and that's the CPU usage!!!!!! O_o

Then under those conditions do a videoconference with someone to see if realtime traffic is affected by the saturation of the line.

1 Like

I don't have anyone to call :frowning: but I can stream a 4k movie, if that'll work?
My line is maxing out at 1gbps, PS5 downloads are getting downloaded very quick.

I'll play more tomorrow, going to sleep soon.
But for now, it seems SW/HW offloading really does work well. I haven't tried with SQM yet. (I did before but didn't have SW/HW on then)

that's what i keep saying since the begining of this thread, you don't need anything else. :joy:
SQM is not recommended with Offloading. So you have to choose, you can't use both together.

Hardware flow offloading bypasses SQM.

3 Likes

Watching a movie, or youtube is not a valid test. All players prebuffer data in advance to avoid jitter, so it is not real-time and, in the end, it will get the bandwidth share it needs. But that won't test the worst case.
Another test you can do is play online games in GeForce Now, XBOX gamepass, stadia, etc. If you notice excessive lag between your input and the movement on screen then you can detect the effects of the bandwidth saturation.
In any case, a skype/Meets/Teams/Zoom/Whatsapp/Facetime video call is the fastest and easiest way.

With SW/HW offloading you get all the BW, but no prioritization. Latency under load should go beyond 100ms, and that is not acceptable for real-time communications or online gaming.

3 Likes