Dynamic RADIUS VLANs 802.1x on Luci/OWRT 21 help please

Hi guys
Please can you help me.
I will say up front I struggle somewhat understanding with the new bridge vlans setup, but I'm not sure if that's part of the issue.

I have been following this guide:

Essentially I already have a RADIUS server setup working with other APs (Ubiquiti running stock firmware) to hand out the VLAN ID on one of my SSIDs. On OWRT it seems I cannot obtain an IP address when connecting via dynamic-vlan SSID.

I have confirmed a 'vanilla' setup (without dynamic VLANs) that the RADIUS part is working on my AP121's, but the dynamic VLANs doesn't seem to be.

I setup the bridge VLAN filtering on the br-lan (and I can make this work using PSK, by assigning the vlan network to the SSID directly).

I edited the /etc/config/wireless to set it for dynamic vlans (since the options here don't appear on my interface, seems like they didn't get committed to main branch? https://github.com/openwrt/luci/pull/4790 ref WPA2 Enterprise No VLAN in Luci - #3 by thomasthep)

When I connect a device wirelessly to the RADIUS SSID I do see this:

root@ManagedWiFi:~# brctl show
bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
br-vlan205              8000.f09ce9aa7101       no              wlan0.205
br-lan          7fff.f09ce9aa7100       no              eth0

But per the original guide, I should also see a LAN interface on br-vlan205 yes?

If it makes a difference, when there is no Wifi device connected, the whole br-vlan205 line disappears, only br-lan is visible.

I feel like I'm missing 1 last step, but I just don't know what. I did try creating a bridge device and adding interface "br-lan.205" to the bridge port, but that didn't make a difference.
I see in the pull request 4790 that there is reference to the vlan naming scheme vlan or <vlan_tagged_interface>., I tried uci set wireless.wifinet2.vlan_naming = both of these options, and also I noticed the wireless.wifinet2.vlan_tagged_interface='eth1' so I updated that to eth0 since that is what I have, but it didn't improve or change the output of brctl show either.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Jon

Hi,

welcome to the forum. Not sure if you resolved your issue, but here are some config snippets that work for me:

config snippets

Hi Fodiator
Thanks for taking the time to respond, I think I did look at those but I seem to recall they were somewhat different due to the version differences - I wouldn't say I was even as good as mediocre but from memory I couldn't work out how to translate them into OWRT21 speak.

In the meantime the OWRT units I was planning to use have been sat on my desk, replaced with paid-for Unifi units, extending our existing Unifi deployment instead of saving some money with re-purposed OWRT units.