Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

That's the same behaviour I've observed. For some reason, 'run tftprecover' doesn't get auto-executed. When triggered manually, everything works as expected.

I want to dig a bit deeper into the missing WDS feature. It seems that AX3600 has the same issue, mentioned here: Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX3600 - #7747 by daniarla

@robimarko is it possible for you to take a look at that? It seems that the wireless hardware doesn't advertise all the features it is capable of. I can't remeber the command right now, but there is a way to look at all the available hardware features and WDS is clearly missing. I'm not sure if this has worked in an older version...

@clayface There seems to be new ath11k firmware available. Afaik your build uses 2.5.0.1, could you make a build with 2.6.0.1 as mentioned in the AX3600 thread: Adding OpenWrt support for Xiaomi AX3600 - #7931 by sqrwv

I have no idea why WDS is not working, it was definitively working before, its probably an ath11k issue.

2.6.x FW WILL NOT WORK, dont even try it

1 Like

wondering if instead of "run tftprecover" ... dhcp will work ... the only thing you need is adding the itb file to your tfpserver

this is what it shows

iw list | grep -A 15 "Supported extended features:"
        Supported extended features:
                * [ RRM ]: RRM
                * [ FILS_STA ]: STA FILS (Fast Initial Link Setup)
                * [ CQM_RSSI_LIST ]: multiple CQM_RSSI_THOLD records
                * [ CONTROL_PORT_OVER_NL80211 ]: control port over nl80211
                * [ STA_TX_PWR ]: TX power control per station
                * [ CONTROL_PORT_NO_PREAUTH ]: disable pre-auth over nl80211 control port support
                * [ SCAN_FREQ_KHZ ]: scan on kHz frequency support
                * [ CONTROL_PORT_OVER_NL80211_TX_STATUS ]: tx status for nl80211 control port support
                * [ BSS_COLOR ]: BSS coloring support
Wiphy phy0
        wiphy index: 0
        max # scan SSIDs: 16
        max scan IEs length: 142 bytes
        max # sched scan SSIDs: 0
        max # match sets: 0
--
                * [ CONTROL_PORT_NO_PREAUTH ]: disable pre-auth over nl80211 control port support
                * [ CONTROL_PORT_OVER_NL80211_TX_STATUS ]: tx status for nl80211 control port support

the ax3600 shows

iw list | grep -A 15 "Supported extended features:"
Wiphy phy1
        wiphy index: 1
        max scan IEs length: 142 bytes
--
Wiphy phy0
        wiphy index: 0
        max scan IEs length: 195 bytes
--
                * [ VHT_IBSS ]: VHT-IBSS
                * [ SET_SCAN_DWELL ]: scan dwell setting
                * [ TXQS ]: FQ-CoDel-enabled intermediate TXQs
                * [ AIRTIME_FAIRNESS ]: airtime fairness scheduling
                * [ AQL ]: Airtime Queue Limits (AQL)
                * [ DEL_IBSS_STA ]: deletion of IBSS station support

Just FYI, I did confirm that the WDS issues are caused by switching to using that 'frame_mode=2' option for ath11k. Like I've tested identical builds where I just change that 'frame_mode=2' to 'frame_mode=1' and WDS works fine.

That being said, I have no idea why that breaks WDS... I just know that it does.

2 Likes

You can also change this on the installed system in /etc/modules.d/ath11k.

2 Likes

They didn't implement encap offload for WDS. Only STA and AP mode.

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.18.11/source/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath11k/mac.c#L5989

1 Like

Changed MODPARAMS.ath11k:=frame_mode=2 to MODPARAMS.ath11k:=frame_mode=1 manually before building and still having the same issue when using 802.11s.

Will test WDS next and report back.

You are my hero ! Changing frame_mode=2 to frame_mode=1 in /etc/modules.d/ath11k did the trick.
WDS support is still not advertised via iw list,

Supported interface modes:
                 * managed
                 * AP
                 * monitor
                 * mesh point

but it works fine, just as good as with my old ath79 hardware. Now I can test the Dynalink as my daily driver. THANK YOU

2 Likes

we are all discovering the misterious qualcomm features ...for my use case frame_mode=2 works fine but still great to hear for your use case works well. The frame_mode=2 was suggested for performance reasons as i remember without looking at the ax3600 forum maybe frame_mode=1 should be the default to allow wider use.. still feel though this is the best openwrt qualqom device!

Edit: sysupgrade works! I had to manually stop wpad and give it a couple of seconds (it took quite long, around 5-8 seconds) to properly shut down! Afterwards sysupgrade is working. To get the new versions booted correctly I had to sysupgrade and do another sysupgrade after the reboot.

we should add the "/etc/init.d/wpad stop" plus a sleep of x seconds to the sysupgrade scripts!

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r19984-8379551f70 / LuCI Master git-22.167.28356-8effea5

Uptime:
11d 14h 51m 56s

no observed issues on my setup apart from sysupgrade not working in the past.

I have Adblock, unbound and samba4 running daily TimeMachine backups running.

2 Likes

After some perturbations (mostly around building the firmware) I managed to flash Dynalink with openwrt. @rmandrad post about what needs to be included in the .config helped along with @clayface script and so on. Thanks everyone!

To anyone who thinks 2.0mm pitch JST serial connector for UART is a show-stopper: plastic shroud around the connector can be pulled off with pliers (it's friction fit, not attached to the board) which allows for more connector choices - I am using 5 pin JST connector from a dust sensor. Also, there are commonly available dupont jumper cables with one end 2.0mm pitch and another 2.54mm.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Female-Jumper-2-54mm-Breadboard/dp/B07FM72VBF

Will there be a full how to made for this device?

Would love to try OpenWRT on it.

1 Like

In my attempt to get Openwrt on my Dynalink, @clayface uboot script failed todo tftp first time, forcing me to go for UART. I could successfully tftp from uboot, some how ethernet is not functional but wifi is working fine. I built my image from @clayface repo, so any suggestion? I am guessing some kernel module is missing in my image.

clayface branch is missing the necessary phy-handle dts changes (https://github.com/robimarko/nss-packages/commit/3395afd07adc24e0e8837350974f230d4ad3193c)

You can use my branch, but be aware, there is no dual partition support!

1 Like

Thanks @kirdes, I will try cherry picking your changes.

@kirdes You seem to be maintaining the dynalink branch up to date, I will move to your branch. Keep the good work going.

Last update von robimarkos branch is missing... will merge that soon

What exactly does that mean?