Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

Not soldering needed if you find the proper connector.

1 Like

good job everyone was able to get the uart witha 4-pin 2.0mm (thx @Gost6 ) and load robi's openwrt itb image ... has anyone flashed the firmware on rootfs and then changed the bootcmd ? .. .forgot the openwrt images need to be signed if we are not to bypass bootipq...

So I was able to get openwrt both on mtd18 & mtd20

had to tweak uboot with the following

bootargs=ubi.mtd=rootfs root=mtd:ubi_rootfs rootfstype=squashfs
mtdparts=mtdparts=nand0:0x6100000@0x1000000(fs),0x6100000@0x7a00000(fs_1),
mtdids=nand0=nand0
setpartfs=ubi part fs;ubi read 0x44000000 kernel 0x80000000
setpartfs1=ubi part fs_1;ubi read 0x44000000 kernel 0x80000000
bootcmd=run setpartfs;bootm 0x44000000#config@rt5010w-d350-rev0
saveenv

this has allowed me to bypass the signature check ..

not a permanent solution of course

I am traveliing, will look into it again once I return.
Though, there doesnt seem a way to avoid changing boot cmd and having to set the u-boot rootfs parts

1 Like

yes ... i guess the upgrade script will probably have to set the bootcmd & other env variables via fw_setenv ... the challenge will be how to do uboot saveenv to populate mtd14 for people without uart or can copy a backup ...

unless of course we get the attestation cert or don't need it...

safe travels @robimarko

I was able to sysupgrade successfully a few times with the following logic on
target/linux/ipq807x/base-files/lib/upgrade/platform.sh

platform_do_upgrade() {
        case "$(board_name)" in
        dynalink,dl-wrx36)
                active="$(fw_printenv -n active)"
                if [ "$active" -eq "1" ]; then
                        # currently on rootfs_1 start switch to rootfs
                        CI_UBIPART="rootfs"
                        fw_setenv bootcmd 'run setpartfs;bootm 0x44000000#config@rt5010w-d350-rev0'
                        fw_setenv active 0
                else
                        # currently on rootfs start switch to rootfs_1
                        CI_UBIPART="rootfs_1"
                        fw_setenv bootcmd 'run setpartfs1;bootm 0x44000000#config@rt5010w-d350-rev0'
                        fw_setenv active 1
                fi
                nand_do_upgrade "$1"

Does u-boot not have hush shell enabled? Ideally the active variable should only be needed, something like:

bootcmd=run setup && run bootlinux
setup=if test $active = 0; then ubi part fs ; else ubi part fs_1; fi
bootlinux=ubi read 0x44000000 kernel 0x80000000 ; bootm 0x44000000#config@rt5010w-d350-rev0

Might want to build in a failsafe too to tftp boot when fs and fs_1 both fail.

2 Likes

thank you @clayface yes indeed... makes sense your proposal ... i feel from a production perspective whatever logic we have the challenge is to build the uboot env variables for users without uart ... the device comes out with a mtd14 empty that needs to be populated with saveenv...

This shouldn't be a big problem as fw_setenv is provided in the stock OS so they can just paste the commands provided in the install instructions. We could have another condition where if active=2 then run tftpboot, then the user can paste everything in one go and sysupgrade will set it back to 0 or 1 to boot from NAND.

1 Like

@robimarko for your backlog I think the dts is wrong the wan maps to eth4 & eth3 seems to be mapping to eth0 ... noticed this as I was setting up veth devices for mwan3 ... maybe the dts is wrong ... just thought to report thank you

first impressions ... the ipq8072 really come out ... this is a setup with with wan's using mwan3 ... I am going to leave it running on this build but only two antennas seem to do much better than the xiaomi 3600

Can you clarify a bit?

the markings on the router wan& eth1-4 etc don't match.... wan = eth4 what it seems are the definitions on the dts ... maybe something else but just reporting

i am using mwan3 with veth/macvlan hence finding this out ...

Ok, I think I traced them properly, but will check once I get home.

all good with your last patch so far ... will report back if there any problems

How did you flash it? Using ubiformat?

yes ... boot the itb image ... flash both rootfs and roofs_1 with
ubiformat /dev/mtd18 & 20 -f /tmp/openwrt-ipq807x-generic-xiaomi_ax3600-squashfs-nand-factory.ubi -s 2048 -O 2048

important for this to work is that from uart you save the uboot environment and setup the bootcmd as described on one of my posts ... note I don't think this is optimal but at least it works and I am able to do sysupgrade etc without bothering with uart

can somebody upload the config to enable ssh with a working password again?
Thx!! :). The old links are expired ...

try https://mega.nz/file/QVdBCCTR#czWjAT6If4RN_JjArdexUgq3DmFiAjaJMEpg8zw2IB4

2 Likes

fantastic thx!!!

1 Like