Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

For me, the crash happens on (multiple) 5 GHz, non of them using 802.11r. And only when my laptop (Intel card) leaves. It doesn't happen when I restart my phone or other clients, only my laptop with an Intel card inside. Actually, it won't crash if I hibernate the laptop, it only happens if I shutdown.

1 Like

Try this.

1 Like

is this the latest version for OpenWRT for this router?
SNAPSHOT - r23375-cdfcac6e24

The attended upgrade manager says it is the latest version, but it's been a long time since i upgraded. I'm facing some connection issues, so want to upgrade and see if that helps.

No, I built two days ago r24185-e6281720f2 ...

You are likely stuck in an old ipq807x/generic build, while the target was renamed to qualcommax/ipq807x, which change attendedsysupgrade can't handle gracefully.

You need a new build from that.

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/qualcommax/ipq807x/

1 Like

In my experience, Dynalink was more stable on a build from circa February (IPQ8072A NSS) than current stable release.

How do i do this attended?

Here's one way to fix it:

did that, but attended upgrade still reports i'm on the latest version.

You two are now mixing two quite difterent things: sysupgrade stalling prevention (that @juliank is suddenly talking about, and which has already been fixed) and detecting new image versions in attendedsysupgrade.

@borgqueenx
You might just need to download a new snapshot image from qualcommax and reinstall your packages after sysupgrade.

I am not using auc or attended sysupgrade, so I have no knowledge about their internals.

But you might try to trick it by changing with text editor the system target info in /etc/openwrt_release to be DISTRIB_TARGET='qualcommax/ipq807x' (instead of ipq807x/generic)

That might do the trick

root@router5:~# ubus call system board
{
        "kernel": "6.1.57",
        "hostname": "router5",
        "system": "ARMv8 Processor rev 4",
        "model": "Dynalink DL-WRX36",
        "board_name": "dynalink,dl-wrx36",
        "rootfs_type": "squashfs",
        "release": {
                "distribution": "OpenWrt",
                "version": "SNAPSHOT",
                "revision": "r24185-e6281720f2",
                "target": "qualcommax/ipq807x",
                "description": "OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r24185-e6281720f2"
        }
}

root@router5:~# cat /etc/openwrt_release
DISTRIB_ID='OpenWrt'
DISTRIB_RELEASE='SNAPSHOT'
DISTRIB_REVISION='r24185-e6281720f2'
DISTRIB_TARGET='qualcommax/ipq807x'
DISTRIB_ARCH='aarch64_cortex-a53'
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION='OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r24185-e6281720f2'
DISTRIB_TAINTS='no-all busybox'

I joke here, and change it...

root@router5:~# nano /etc/openwrt_release
root@router5:~# cat /etc/openwrt_release
DISTRIB_ID='OpenWrt'
DISTRIB_RELEASE='SNAPSHOT'
DISTRIB_REVISION='r24185-e6281720f2'
DISTRIB_TARGET='something/funny'
DISTRIB_ARCH='aarch64_cortex-a53'
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION='OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r24185-e6281720f2'
DISTRIB_TAINTS='no-all busybox'

root@router5:~# ubus call system board
{
        "kernel": "6.1.57",
        "hostname": "router5",
        "system": "ARMv8 Processor rev 4",
        "model": "Dynalink DL-WRX36",
        "board_name": "dynalink,dl-wrx36",
        "rootfs_type": "squashfs",
        "release": {
                "distribution": "OpenWrt",
                "version": "SNAPSHOT",
                "revision": "r24185-e6281720f2",
                "target": "something/funny",
                "description": "OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r24185-e6281720f2"
        }
}
3 Likes

that worked! many thanks :slight_smile: but it doesn't give the option to install the stable release. just the latest snapshot.

Well like said the in the wiki, the stable old 23.05 is still as ipq807x/generic, while main/master has been moved to qualcommax/ipq807x

Note that the main snapshot is naturally further advanced than the old 23.05.0 (which is mainly code from May 2023 when the 23.05 was branched off)

2 Likes

Hey all, i have two questions i tried searching for but couldn't figure out:

1. For usb recovery, when you set the fw_setenv, does that persist after flashing openwrt again or does that need to be reapplied each time you have to perform a flash recovery? I imagine the usb recovery is essentially just going back to installing openwrt instructions where you boot from usb from the oem firmware. Does that mean that when i boot off usb and run through those installation steps again to reinstall openwrt, i need to reapply the usb recovery commands to ensure i'm protected post recovery?

2. I believe some time ago on this same thread (Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion - #2150 by jaharon) someone actually managed to enable dual boot partitioning on this router. The discussion on that was really short, i was hoping someone may have tried this to explain their experience when updating or recovering the router with it.

So 'stable release' dies not really mean it's stable - good to know. I have not followed the development for six months until I upgraded to recent snapshots and 'stable' and reliability went down the drain.

You only need to do it once.

Don't know where you got the stability aspect into picture.
I was merely referring to the fact that 23.05 is mainly May 2023 code plus fixes, while main/master has advanced since then in many ways.

3 Likes

Thank you, that fixed my issue with my laptop shutting down and crashing the router.
So @hnyman: My issue is not the same as yours. My issue was caused by wake on packets, which is solved by disabling it from within windows driver. I have now multiple SSIDs, both on 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz and leaving clients won't crash the router. The only difference I could see is that mine don't use 802.11r.

1 Like

@hnyman What a nice pic!!!

stable = more slow release cycle and feature freeze.
main = no control and devs can do whatever change they want. User are aware of this and expect some breakage.

And this is exactly what happen. At one point there was a branching, feature freeze and only fixes were backported. Main did the name change to support in the future ipq60xx and ipq50xx that are very similar to ipq807x patchset.

Remember that ipq807x wasn't a thing in the previous stable release. Aside from this, it really being lazy... You can totally manually generate an image from the image selector and update to it. (it's litterally what the luci app does under the hood by calling some API)

1 Like

It is the one that I have kept updated in wiki for years :wink:

It is useful in forum discussion to show the release branch logic, as some people seem to think that the newest release is from the quite newest codebase, while in reality it is made from the stable release branch branched off quite a while ago.

4 Likes

Thanks, also just wanted to say that ive been following this stuff for a while and am familiar with what you and others contribute to this stuff. So just wanna say thanks, your time used to bring such a value is very appreciated. Motivated me to try and do the same.

The discussions (all are in this thread, the tail of it is here) about how to introduce this into the code base stalled, as there will be functionality change for current users.

At the present, if you really want this proof of concept functionality, you need to have you own build, and add the patches manually (from here).

1 Like