Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

No, the initramfs file goes on a USB stick. Follow the wiki, option 2.

1 Like

Hmm... wondering if it's possible to run openwrt on the usb stick and stock fw on flash? So if the usb is present it would boot to openwrt and vice versa. That would be nice haha

Serial isn't required for flashing though, only for unbricking, and not even then, if you apply the extended uboot params for USB recovery.

(As listed below the installion howto in the wiki)


Going to pre-emptively do it anyways, came across some mentions of either a failed update (unexplained but led to brick/return to Amazon) or incorrect flash procedure leading to a brick. I'm coming from a WRT1900ACS as well which had the 2nd boot partition and this being a family router, I need to minimize on downtimes as much as possible.

I'd just have a spare router (actually, I have many), but hey, each on his/her own ...

I am seeing similar now.
That used to happen also earlier if there was wpa3 802.11r FT in play, so I disabled that SSID and things were relatively stable.

but with the newest firmware blob it has recently surfaced more often.

I also suspected that it might have something to do with the hostapd renewal by nbd, which was merged two weeks ago (and has got several fixes since then).

The firmware bump and the hostapd change was done at the same time, making it more difficult to debug the primary culprit.

Ath11k is more complex than earlier ath versions, so also offers more bug possibilities.

see also discussion and links


Excuse me.
Does dl-wrx36 support wifi6 160Mhz in opwnwrt?

Can you try WLAN.HK. firmware? I have fixed 2 issues just by going back to this version -- traffic interruption on wifi client disconnect and multicast bug that breaks IPv6. is just bad. In my opinion OpenWRT should roll back to until issues are resolved.

for my use case I am using the 2.7 firmware (WLAN.HK. from kvalo repo with no issues ... i also moved from wpa3 to wpa2-psk
as you unsure what is the underlying issue

I've had to set my three APs to reboot, in sequence, during the small hours. I've been really badly hit by the ARP issue this week, where my work laptop (M1 MacBook Air) has been dropping off the network and then reconnecting regularly.

I love these devices but their instability is painful!

1 Like

Which FW are you using now mate, I just picked these up as well, 2 and plan to 802.11r as well.


Still the same, no downtime since I flashed them in Jan.

Right, awesome to hear! I'll take a look at a Jan snapshot then to get started, thanks mate.

How many repos are there if you don't mind me asking?

Oh! I hadn't seen the multi-to-unicast workaround until just now. I've set that on and might stop one of my APs rebooting to see if it fixes my biggest problem, that of random "dark" periods of no traffic coming back.

You may discover a few old IOT devices won't connect to a 2.4 GHz 802.11r AP. I've had no issue's with 5 GHz 802.11r though.

Just to make sure- I assume we need to rename the factory image filename to "factory_image.ubi" as in step 4 (option 2)?

4. Do a ubiformat to both rootfs partitions:
   # ubiformat /dev/mtd18 -y -f /tmp/factory_image
   # ubiformat /dev/mtd20 -y -f /tmp/factory_image

No need to rename.
Just use the exact filename (and path) of your factory image in the command...

1 Like

Thanks! I'd probably just rename anyway to keep it short and copy/paste happy:D

1 Like

I've been running OpenWrt snapshot r22497-f25abdf144 for over 124d. It's not routing a lot of traffic, but it is running with a cellular modem and a wireguard site-to-site VPN to overcome the carrier grade NAT of the cellular connection enabling remote access. So far, it's never missed a beat, and just works. However, I'm conscious that a lot of work has gone into improving OpenWRT support on this hardware during that time; indeed, it's now on kernel 6.1 rather than the 5.15.105 that I'm running, and there have been lots of changes to the WiFi support.

So, should I be thinking about upgrading to a newer snapshot, or should I wait until 23.05 is released? And if the recommendation is to upgrade, is there a suggested way to do it, given the rename of the platform that's also occurred? I'd normally hope to just run an attended sysupgrade from LUCI but fear that may not work.

Thanks for any advice.