Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

Well, we discussed this with Robi and the conclusion is that the issue was/is with checksum offloading. You can leave GRO on for PPPoE, it is not going to help, but it is not going to make it worse either.

The important information is for everybody, is that the basic offloading usually done by the ethernet controller, is not done at the moment, as the ethernet driver is too basic, and most of these offloads are also done on the NSS infra not present in Openwrt yet. Robi is working on basic support, so at least these basic offloads can be put through the NSS infra, but as much as I know, it is not ready yet.

2 Likes

Hello. I am newbie and I wonder something. This device have 256mb nand. Can we use all flash size? I want to install adguard home and some other packages. I need to use usb storage and extroot or can I use all flash size? Is this possible?

Should be, you've got roughly 65MB free, AGH requires ~11MB.

But in the openwrt adguard wiki says need to 100mb?

you don't have to have backups
the logs and statistics shouldn't be written to flash anyway, it'll kill it.

just installed AGH package on my Roqos, 35mb is spot on, size wise, but
I'm using ext4, not squashfs, it would be smaller on a "real" router due to
FS compression.

installing it on the WRX36, reduced the FS space by ~11MB.

I've done a direct WiFi comparison between a DL-WRX36 and RT3200 dumb AP in the same location on the second floor to a linux Intel desktop client with a 2x2 Intel AX200 card located on the first floor below. Both running SNAPSHOT r22135-530f5c2fda from Fri, 24 Feb 2023 23:14:38. Both on 5Ghz 802.11ax on 80 Mhz channels (100 and 132) and both at 24 dbm. Both tested with iperf3 between the desktop client and a NanoPi R4S gateway router. So neither AP acting as an iperf3 server. No changes to CPU governor settings on either AP - though neither CPU was particularly challenged in this test.

Beam forming and BSS coloring options are activated in the RT3200 /etc/config/wireless configuration file as suggested in the RT3200 device wiki. There is no guidance to add these options to the DL-WRX36, so I did not (I assume these are active by default on the DL-WRX36).

The Belkin RT3200 performed noticeably better in this situation. With the desktop client functioning as the iperf3 server (i.e., iperf3 -R option on the desktop connecting to the R4S) the RT3200 provided ~350 Mbps throughput and the DL-WRX36 only ~230 Mbps. In the other direction, the RT3200 provided ~248 Mbps throughput and the DL-WRX36 ~215 Mbps.

The recent mt76 driver update fixing 802.11ax on the RT3200 seems to work quite well. The DL-WRX36 has some advantages on paper over the RT3200: quad versus dual core, faster clock rate, ax support on the 2.4 GHz band. But for just adding a 5GHz band 802.11ax dumb AP, the RT3200 goes the distance.

3 Likes

It all comes down to the local conditions, I guess

Agree. It all depends on the conditions.

Someone who needs an ultra fast wireless link in the same room as their AP would not agree with my priorities, but I did not compare throughput for either the RT3200 or WRX36 up close or in the same room, because both are plenty fast enough for my purposes under those conditions. Really close, I can always use an Ethernet cable instead of wireless :wink: , though 802.11ax speeds now make that option a bit superfluous.

Some other day with more time I would like to test the RT3200 and WRX36 on the same floor through a wall to a different room for horizontal orientation throughput, but I have to relocate a desktop to do that. Something as simple as internal antenna orientation favoring the RT3200 broadcasting below the AP over the WRX36 could be in play. Who knows without more apples-to-apples testing?

Which reminds me - I left desktop client antennas on the floor below the AP's vertical for the test. I may have improved performance across the board rotating them horizontal so their "doughnut" was aimed toward the AP's on the floor above. So many variables....

1 Like

I received my device today and installed OpenWrt according to the steps on the Wiki.
I have my 5GHz radio country set to GB, channel 36, and width set to 160MHz.
My laptop has an Intel AX210 WiFi adapter. I am seeing a constant speed of 1.8Gbps which occasionally goes up to 2.4Gbps.

2 Likes

I wanted remote LAN uart acess to this router, so I ordered an ethernet to serial TTL 3.3V adapter.
(I was a bit hesitant to post this here, because it's not specific to this router, but maybe it's useful to someone else.)

details and screenshots

I don't find it great, because it doesn't have encryption, but it has a web page for configuration (I don't need to use their software), it has documentation, it's cheap (~5eur) and it works for what I wanted.

I got the EBYTE NT1, Ethernet-SerialTTL(3.3V) for around 5eur because it was cheap:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004551641150.html
https://www.cdebyte.com/products/NT1

I power it with 5V USB power adapter, configured it to work in TCP server mode and I'm using putty TCP RAW connection.
It needs to be on a switch to keep it working if the router ethernet stops working, but also works on router LAN port.
I didn't explore any of the other options.

1 Like

What are you seeing on throughput, as the attached screenshot shows the current wireless sync rate.

I got mine today and I was up and running with OpenWrt in less than 30 minutes. However, that is because I had read the [installation instructions from the Wiki over 4 times already before my router arrived.
It is easy if you use the Wiki. Just copy and paste the instructions. DO NOT TYPE ANYTHING MANUALLY!

2 Likes

I haven't run any particular tests. I have (had) been using this router for about 5hrs now since it arrived.
If there are any specific tests you'd like me to run, please refer me to the post so that I can run them and give you the results.

Hey, can someone please explain to me something about the storage in this device?
The specification says that it has 256MB NAND Flash. Where does all that space disappear to after I install OpenWrt? I need to understand what I am seeing being reported as storage:

Only "Disk space" is storage, and you've already installed a lot, my bare image leaves almost 70MB free

1 Like

I am trying to understand where the 256MB (NAND) is :slight_smile:

inside the router ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Start by doing a cat /proc/mtd, to see the flash content,
Then you need to know openwrt never alters the original flash layout.
If there's a ton of unused flash space, openwrt won't claim it.

2 Likes

the 256MB NAND Flash layout is on the wiki, which you followed a few posts earlier.

Thank you very much. It all now makes sense.

But following instructions doesn't equate to understanding the logic behind it. Most of us are ordinary users who can only follow instructions. This is very different from those who write the instructions.