Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

I think remember gro was "bad" for pppoe setups only.

3 Likes

I use the image builder a lot and yes - I notice I often have to flash it twice for it to work.

1 Like

Thanks! I tested it and I'm getting better results with GRO off. "Band steering" and "Software flow offloading" are always on. I'll test it a bit more, but there is already an improvement in speed.

1 Like

See if you need gro=off only in wan interface or if you need also the lan interfaces.

1 Like

policy0 path works for me, hence I did not mention that in my post.
policy1, policy2, policy3 paths do not exist.

1 Like

Problem is know, the workaround is to always stop WPAD before sysupgrade.

Some of us have incorporated the workaround (stopping wpad) in /lib/upgrade/stage2 (the upgrade script) and it's working as expected.

So, you can either stop wpad manually before every upgrade or edit /lib/upgrade/stage2 and add this at line 152:

# When wpad can't be killed by kill_remaining function, syupgrade will fail.
# If we stop it before, it will get killed and upgrade will work.
service wpad stop 2>/dev/null
sleep 6

Note: sleep 6 is working well for me, but if you still get any missing upgrades, increase the sleep value.

Then you must ensure your /lib/upgrade/stage2 file survives the upgrade, by adding it to system->backup/flash-> configuration tab.

Edit:
On a different subject, after installing today snapshot, attended sysupgrade was missing, I had to install luci-app-attendedsysupgrade package.

3 Likes

Question about the port LED

For the 2.5Gb port:

Both Green & Amber on about 3-5s after powered on, without cable.
Both will stay on until link is up, then Amber will blink while Green still solid on.
Same for PHY speed 1000 / 2500 .

For the 1Gb ports, both LEDs are off without cable.
When link is up, Green will be on and blink.
Amber always off.

How to make the 2.5Gb port LEDs report link status and speed status?

1 Like

Some wifi client results:

main: Router to Internet
2nd: Using Client Wifi mode

Finding 1: in Client mode, Operating frequency->Width has no effect. No matter I use 20, 40, 80, 160 in 2nd, it will use the one provided by main

Finding 2:
At main, using AX, Auto, 160 MHz . It operates at 160 MHz . (36 & 100 are two detected and enable 160 MHz so far for me.) But if I use AX, 36 or 100, 160, then main will operate in 80MHz only.

As tested with 2nd, 80 MHz and 160 MHz are show the same iperf3 score: ~ 996M - 1.23G per second.
Only with 40 / 20 MHz, iperf3 score will be lower. ( 800M / 350M respectively)

Finding 3:
With htop running in main, CPU0 is less loaded in WIFI companed to LAN .

Finding 4:
Disable 5G wifi, enable 2.4G only in main .
With AX, Auto, 40, all clients connects in 20 mode only.
Only after Force 40MHz mode, then clients connected in 40 mode.
Tested with iPhone 13, 2nd, Nokia 9 . All the same.

1 Like

It's intended: it is removed for SNAPSHOT versions, but will included in RELEASE versions

See thread below about the motivations:

1 Like

should this info perhaps be added to the device page ?

I think so, maybe a note about sysupgrade randomly not upgrading FW, saying the workaround is to manually stop wpad service before any sysupgrade.
https://openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/ax3600#potential_issueslimitations

By (editing and) adding /lib/upgrade/stage2 to backup-flash configuration tab, stage2 won't receive future upgrades from the snapshots, so I wouldn't add this option to the wiki. Still it's extreme useful to do this, as it just works.

It's reported here:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=216513

To try this, I need to disable GRO in wan interface, in pppoe-wan device or in both? ethtool shows both.

Use this find out your interface names:
ls /sys/class/net
Then this command to change gro on or off for a particular interface
ethtool -K <interface> gro <on or off>

I will suggest you to test the combination of:
WAN on, LAN on
WAN off, LAN on
WAN on, LAN off
WNF off, LAN off

And see which give you the best result.

1 Like

I can see three wan devices: the pppoe-wan, the wan and the wan.20 (the VLAN).

1 Like

Personally I never use PPPoE with OpenWrt - I have no idea which WAN interface you should test with.

Sorry.

I really don't know, because I don't have PPPoE, but I would try pppoe-wan first, then the other combinations. You don't need to reboot to test on/off. Reboot will turn the default back to on. I also think disable/enable a interface will also turn the default on, I saw this with the wireless interfaces.
I'm also curious of what you'll find.

@dchard sorry for pinging you here... I think I remember you did several tests with gro on/off and pppoe in the AX3600 thread. And if I remember correctly pppoe was "better" without gro. Can you confirm that? Did you test with lan with gro enabled and wan with gro disabled? What interfaces did you disable it exactly? I can see the wan (interface), the pppoe-wan (device) and the wan.20 (vlan) in my system, all of them modifiable with ethtool.

Thanks in advance!

Well, we discussed this with Robi and the conclusion is that the issue was/is with checksum offloading. You can leave GRO on for PPPoE, it is not going to help, but it is not going to make it worse either.

The important information is for everybody, is that the basic offloading usually done by the ethernet controller, is not done at the moment, as the ethernet driver is too basic, and most of these offloads are also done on the NSS infra not present in Openwrt yet. Robi is working on basic support, so at least these basic offloads can be put through the NSS infra, but as much as I know, it is not ready yet.

2 Likes

Hello. I am newbie and I wonder something. This device have 256mb nand. Can we use all flash size? I want to install adguard home and some other packages. I need to use usb storage and extroot or can I use all flash size? Is this possible?

Should be, you've got roughly 65MB free, AGH requires ~11MB.