Dynalink DL-WRX36 Askey RT5010W IPQ8072A technical discussion

With OEM firmware are you tested in repeater mode / STA + AP & DFS channels ?

Thanks for nfos

Right, this did the trick. Thanks!

1 Like

For anyone interested in using docker on the dynalink, I am using plex and nextcloud locally, it is important that the upgrade firmware size does not exceed 86 mb and disable the option iptables '0' option in the docker configuration to get docker runnig.

1 Like

@meisterlone - can you post or PM some tips or pictures to open the SAXt1V1S ? i can't open it fully to find a serial port. externally, mine has 1 WAN, 3 LAN, and a reset button. if the reset button is held, it will eventually yield an info screen at 192.168.1.1 that directs you to the specturm app. at 192.168.1.1/warehouse, a login screen appears askiung for name and password. no clue on going beyond that, or keys to ssh.

i also have a dynalinnk DL-WRX36 and the devices are not the same. the WRX36 has 1 WAN 4 LAN, and a USB port. the case config is very different. so while the devices may be similar, they ar enot the same.

again - tips on opening the SAX1V1S for serial access? maybe start a new thread for that device as you suggested

Hey @ghoffman , I just made a topic for that device and took some pics. Sorry probably should have documented it better before complete disassembly.

If you've confirmed that limit, it might make sense to set IMAGE_SIZE := 86m (maybe 85m) in the image recipe for this device (and submitting the change).

== Update 2 ==
Is a serial console is needed for recovery? If yes, then I need to order the correct one.

== Update ==
I bricked after the final reboot at step 9. How to recover?

= Original ==
My 2 sets of WRX36 just arrived.

Looking forward flashing OpenWrt to them.

Thank you very much for everyone that make OpenWrt possible for this device.

Keep in mind that snapshoot images don't have LUCI gui, you need to ssh to 192.168.1.1 and install LUCI. See if you can ssh or ping the router.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder.

After the final reboot, the LED stayed Violte.

My computer did not get IP via DHCP.

After manually change computer IP to 192.168.1.2, cannot ping 192.168.1.1

1 Like

Hi. My curiosity is about the 5GHz radio on this device. Does it have a channel width of 160, or it only has 20/440/80?
Does it have any LEDs??
I am also considering running getting one to play with. 2.2GHz/1GB RAM/256MB is enough to run a few things. I should run some docker containers too.

There is 1 LED on the device, in additional of per port LEDs.

From the stock firmware, 2.4G is 20/40. 5G is 20/40/80

1 Like

Where is this warning you are referring to? I am planning to buy this device from AMZN US and I see the page says it has the adapter.

It is about the power plug format - the Amazon US one comes with a US power plug - if you need UK one, or other local plugs, you need an converter.

Assuming the power adapter's actually dual voltage, that's not as common as it is in, say, EU.

The one I got is 100V-240V AC to 12V-3A DC. So as long as having a suitable converter (I mean like those travel adaptor, without voltage changes), it should work everywhere.

1 Like

Same for me.

But I didn't want to go permanently with the wall socket travel adapter route, so I got a local power adapter (with a suitable router DC plug, which can be difficult to ensure)

Yes, the DC plug are having different thickness, length. It is hard to find a perfect match.

I usually will use an universal DC adaptor with changable DC plugs - but those seldom came with DC current as high as 3A at 12V.

Depending on the current state, serial console migth be required.
I used a 3.3V one.

Can you describe the procedure you followed, and which is the last step that completed successfully?

If you enabled booting from USB, a fail to boot OpenWrt from a flash drive should get you to the OEM firmware.

If you already flashed OpenWrt, it should boot, unless you used a different file for flashing.

Did you do a sysupgrade from the initramfs instead of the flashing with ubiformat?
From what I remember, that would not remove a ubi volume and cause OpenWrt to wait for rootfs the next boot.

1 Like

Boot initramfs option 2: From SSH access on OEM firmware
1. Copy the initramfs image to a FAT-formatted flash drive
   (tested on single-partition drive) and connect it to device USB port.
2. Change boot command so it loads the initramfs image on next boot
   Fallback to OEM firmware is provided.
   # fw_setenv bootcmd 'usb start && fatload usb 0:1 0x44000000 openwrt-ipq807x-generic-dynalink_dl-wrx36-initramfs-uImage.itb && bootm 0x44000000; bootipq'
3. Reboot the device to boot the initramfs
   # reboot

Booting OpenWrt from USB is OK.

Install OpenWrt from initramfs image:
1. Use SCP (or other way) to transfer OpenWrt factory image
2. Connect to device using SSH (on a LAN port)
3. Check MTD partition table.
   rootfs and rootfs_1 should be mtd18 and mtd20
   depending on current OEM slot.
   # cat /proc/mtd
4. Do a ubiformat to both rootfs partitions:
   # ubiformat /dev/mtd18 -y -f /path_to/factory_image
   # ubiformat /dev/mtd20 -y -f /path_to/factory_image
5. Set U-boot env variable: mtdids
   # fw_setenv mtdids 'nand0=nand0'
6. Get offset of mtd18 to determine current OEM slot
   - If current OEM slot is 1, offset is 16777216  (0x1000000)
   - If current OEM slot is 2, offset is 127926272 (0x7a00000)
   # cat /sys/class/mtd/mtd18/offset

Mine is slot 2

7. Set U-boot env variable: mtdparts
   If current OEM slot is 1, run:
   # fw_setenv mtdparts 'mtdparts=nand0:0x6100000@0x1000000(fs),0x6100000@0x7a00000(fs_1)'
   If current OEM slot is 2, run:
   # fw_setenv mtdparts 'mtdparts=nand0:0x6100000@0x7a00000(fs),0x6100000@0x1000000(fs_1)'
8. Set U-boot env variable: bootcmd
   # fw_setenv bootcmd 'setenv bootargs console=ttyMSM0,115200n8 ubi.mtd=rootfs rootfstype=squashfs rootwait; ubi part fs; ubi read 0x44000000 kernel; bootm 0x44000000#config@rt5010w-d350-rev0'
9. Reboot the device
   # reboot

After the reboot, the router bricks. Holding the reset button for 30s, no response.

Plug-in USB and reboot, same.

Let it hang for over 60mins, same.

This is the one to boot from USB:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ipq807x/generic/openwrt-ipq807x-generic-dynalink_dl-wrx36-initramfs-uImage.itb

This is the one using in the 2nd step 4, ubiformat
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ipq807x/generic/openwrt-ipq807x-generic-dynalink_dl-wrx36-squashfs-factory.ubi

ps. I got this error, likely after step 7:

Warning: Bad CRC, using default environment

But I ignored it and continued.

Question: Can I set up multiple VLANs (separated) on DL-WRX36 router flashed with OpenWRT? I want to segment my network traffic (I e , separated IoT on one SSID) in the office. Thanks!