Duplicating devices

Folks:

I am adding 4 different Netgear R6100 as Accesspoint cum switch with vlan for lan and for iot.

I went with the assumption that if I made one to work, and just copied over the config file under restore, it should work fine. Then I realized, I needed to change the IP address for the interfaces. Then I realized, I should also have different host names.

Is there anything else we should change before the config file from one box can be taken to another box of the exact same make, model and version number?

This is not an pending issue as I went and manually set up and got my work done but it left a curiosity in my mind. Much appreciate your thoughts.

Not sure what other items you will need to change but once you figure it out, you could simply backup the first device, then take that tarball and rename it to your 2nd, then edit the files therein as needed. Repeat for 3rd, 4th, etc.

2 Likes

I made two devices for the purpose of dumb AP but with managed VLAN switch using Netgear R6100. Took back up of the config files and then made another after changes.

The difference between the two config files were seen by using a diff on linux. Here is the result:

changes between two identical switch: (R6100)

1. etc/config/network
    option ula_prefix '<for_ip_addresses>'
    option ipaddr '<unique.ip.addresses.interfaces>'

2. /etc/config/system
    option hostname 'hostnameX'

It is absolutely critical that the mac addresses are also not carried from one device to another. Some config files include the mac addresses, so be sure not to carry that over.

2 Likes

Thank you. I suspected this but in this device (Netgear R6100), the files do not have mac addresses however for completeness, change two files:

1. etc/config/network
    option ula_prefix '<for_ip_addresses>'
    option ipaddr '<unique.ip.addresses.interfaces>'
    option macaddr '" (if present, the mac address must be unique)
  2. /etc/config/system
    option hostname 'hostnameX'

If they are dumbAPs you may as well omit that. They'll get it from the main router.

2 Likes

I won't modify the recipe above as that set of changes could also apply to gateway duplicating with just those few changes but keeping the ula_prefix which is needed for ip6 if being used.

I hope what I say is correct.

I am not sure I follow.

Hi Trendy

What I mean is that if someone was duplicating the devices and the devices were set to be a gateway and not dumb AP (like in my case) then they should not remove the ula_prefix line. Each of the duplicated device will then be using this ula_prefix to serve that network.

I, however, do agree that duplication will most likely happen within one private network. I am making identical set for my two brothers. So some of them are duplicated as AP and also making two gateway where I wont remove the ula_prefix .

Soon, in a couple of weeks, I will post a recipe of what I did with descriptions. It will help noob like me.

And I really admire the depth of knowledge I am exposed to, when I come here with problems.

Cheers!

If you keep the same ULA in all devices, you'll have issues most likely.
This is something to be configured on the main router only, to be delegated to other routers if requested, and dumbAPs will get an address only.
If you replicate configuration for your brother's devices, keep the ULA on the main router, but change it into something else and unique, so it won't conflict with yours.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.