Dumb wifi link

I have the situation when my isp termination point and router are in different rooms and the conneciton is faster than what powerline adapters can provide. What i'd like to be able to do is to setup 2 openwrt routers connected via 5ghz wifi with one end plugged into the isp wall socket and the other plugged into my router wan port. How do i make this link transparent i.e no dhcp assigning/natting etc I just need it to appear as if it's connected via an ethernet cable.

Many options...
You can go with "classic" repeater mode or just with 802.11s mesh, see https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/mesh/80211s

I prefer 802.11s :sunglasses:

It is quite easy. You need to setup the 2nd one as a client.

Thanks for the links i'll have a read, so would they work like so i.e i plug ethernet cable form wall socket into lan or wan port of openwrt router1, plug lan or wan port of router 2 into want port of main router the link would be transparent?

It should work this way.

With OpenWrt on both devices, that would be the easiest and most efficient approach.

I'm on mobil so please pardon the brief response ...

ISP - router1:wan - wifi with 802.11s and optional AP - router2 with 802.11s and AP - optional client on LAN

The router2 would be a dumpAP and should have an IP so you can manage it.

Feel free to ask for specific advise. This is a rather straight use use case.

So i have configured both devices with

config wifi-iface 'mesh'
        option network 'mesh'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'mesh'
        option ifname 'mesh0'
        option mesh_id 'mymesh'
        option mesh_fwding '1'
        option mesh_rssi_threshold '0'
        option encryption 'sae'
        option key 'strongpassword'

when i do
iw dev mesh0 info
i get

Interface mesh0
        ifindex 9
        wdev 0x5
        addr 04:f0:21:a9:85:f0
        type mesh point
        wiphy 0
        channel 104 (5520 MHz), width: 80 MHz, center1: 5530 MHz
        txpower 26.00 dBm
        multicast TXQ:
                qsz-byt qsz-pkt flows   drops   marks   overlmt hashcol tx-bytes        tx-packets
                0       0       17      0       0       0       0       3222            17

So assume this means they can see each other? So now how do i make it that when I plug a cable/device into the wan port of router1 and plug say a laptop into the wan port of router2 I will be able to see the device at the other end?

Sorry, again on mobil....

To verify the mesh is working please refer to this subsection https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/mesh/80211s#verify_the_mesh_network_is_working

And I assume you want to plug in clients on LAN on router 2.
And you will want to attach your mesh interfaces and your AP interface to your bridge. Assuming the rest of the defaults are still untouched.(?)

In the end you want to have a (virtual) bridge, a layer-2.

For myself I do not use the 802.11s forwarding and use batman-adv and have the eth vlan interface, the batman interface and the AP interface attached to a vlan bridge.
But I see now reason to not attach the mesh interface directly to the lan bridge.

I don't need to add clients on the lan all I need is

Router 1 <---------WIFI---------> ROUTER 2 via mesh/ap/or whatever method will give the most stable and fastest throughput

My openwrt device has 1 wan and 1 lan port I want to use one of these to connect a device to both routers ie

Router 1 wan port > ISP socket presented as ethernet
Router 2 wan port > into my asus router WAN port

So I want the link appear to as if my asus router wan port is connected via an ethernet cable into the socket. I don't want the openwrt routers to do dhcp or anything.

Besides I don't see the point in this exercise....
Disable Dnsmasq and firewall, remove the lan and wan interfaces and bridge, create a new bridge as you like, attach the wan port and your mesh interface to it...

May I ask what kind of outlet you have? Like is it plain IP or do you need pppoe? I'm curious :face_with_monocle:

You can display the macrouting table by doing:

iw dev mesh0 mpath dump

And you can display the mesh status by doing:

mesh11sd status

Thanks for that mesh working correctly

iw dev mesh0 mpath dump

DEST ADDR NEXT HOP IFACE SN METRIC QLEN EXPTIME DTIM DRET FLAGS HOP_COUNT PATH_CHANGE
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx mesh0 202 13 0 3900 100 0 0x5 1 1

If i connect to the wired lan port of router 1 and ssh in from there i can ping router 2 so all good.

The last setup is how to make the ethernet wan port virtual ethernet as i can't seem to find an option to bridge the wan port with mesh?

IIRC you need to flush addresses first on an interface to attach it to a bridge.
Did you have done it via luci, UCI, /etc/config/network, or with standard Linux tools? Mind to share your steps?