Duckdns DDNS gives different PID errors

Hi,

I'm, trying to configure Duckdns on LEDE firmware 17.01.4 without success.
I downloaded and installed via LUCI the needed ddns-scripts and luci-app-ddns for the DDNS service, And created a new name in the newly installed DDNS service.I chose the duckdns.org service provider and entered

Lookup Hostname : myname.duckdns.org
Username : myname
Password : Duckdns token

When I start the process manually, I get different PID errors every time.
I DO get the correct WAN IP in the DDNS overview screen, But thats about it.

Help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Have you installed ssl support, for instance libustream-openssl? If that's not it then try checking the system log.

Hi Per,

I've installed the SSL support as you suggested but it didn't helped.
I tried to understand some things from the logs and from reading this post

1. It seems that the wrong local ip address is sent from lede to duckdns this is the part of the log

Tue Nov 28 00:02:45 2017 user.err ddns-scripts[7491]: duckdns: No or private or invalid IP '192.168.1.1' given! Please check your configuration
Tue Nov 28 00:02:45 2017 user.err ddns-scripts[7491]: duckdns: No update send to DDNS Provider

1. I can't seem to install the ca-certificates via the wget or curl command in the post i've linked to
  1. There are various ways for getting the external IP that you can configure under DDNS advanced settings. I use
    IP address source [IPv4]: Network
    Network [IPv4]: wan
    If that doesn't work then IP address source [IPv4]: URL almost certainly will, but getting it from the router is preferred.

2. You don't need to download it. The file you get from the ca-bundle package is updated. Path to CA-Certificate should be /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt. I'm using DuckDNS and it works.

I am sorry, But i'm not able to connect still. I also see that the router doesn't keeps the ipv4 search methos when I change it from url back to network.
I'm afraid it has something to do with some incompatibility of lede and the generic router hardware.
I appreciate your kind help, But I think I will re-flash padavan firmware on it that worked really well (With duckdns out of the box).
Thank you !

If you still have problems post the log output (with anything sensitive removed).

I'm still unable to connect to duckdns.
started fresh with new archer c7 router with latest lede build.
I've installed
luci-ddns
ca-certeficate
ca-bundle
luci-ssl
I'm afraid it has to do with the wrong SSL package, But when I ran
wget https://certs.secureserver.net/repository/sf_bundle-g2.crt > /etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

It did not find that ssl package the first time and requested me to install the CA packages I've installed earlier and after installing the luci-ssl i get a message with "error 0" and that it downloaded sf_bundle-g2.crt

those are referred lines from system log

Wed Nov 29 19:44:58 2017 user.notice ddns-scripts[14472]: duckdns: PID '14472' started at 2017-11-29 19:44
Wed Nov 29 19:45:05 2017 user.notice ddns-scripts[14472]: duckdns: PID '14472' terminated by 'SIGTERM' at 2017-11-29 19:45
Wed Nov 29 19:55:50 2017 user.notice ddns-scripts[20513]: duckdns: PID '20513' started at 2017-11-29 19:55

There is nothing to indicate that this is an SSL related problem. Try connecting to the router using SSH and post the active section from /etc/config/ddns (Shell command: cat /etc/config/ddns). Mine looks like this:

config service 'myddns_ipv4'
        option interface 'wan'
        option ip_source 'network'
        option ip_network 'wan'
        option service_name 'duckdns.org'
        option enabled '1'
        option username 'NAME'
        option password 'APIKEY'
        option use_https '1'
        option lookup_host 'NAME.duckdns.org'
        option cacert '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt'
        option check_interval '5'

I have replaced the name with NAME and api key with APIKEY. You can test that you can connect to duckdns in the shell:

cd /tmp
 wget https://www.duckdns.org

Thank you for your tips Per.
It doesn't give the PID error, But I see in the log missing domain
Wed Nov 29 22:03:13 2017 user.warn ddns-scripts[23851]: myddns_ipv4: Service section not configured correctly! Missing 'domain' - TERMINATE
Wed Nov 29 22:03:13 2017 user.warn ddns-scripts[23851]: myddns_ipv4: PID '23851' exit WITH ERROR '1' at 2017-11-29 22:03

when i tried the wget command, It gave me again error 0

Update - I see that error 0 is not really an error just like downloadm success status

These are the lines in the ddns config file (NAME is the duckdns domain name (Without duckdns.org) and APIKEY is the duckdns token

config service 'duckdns'
	option interface 'wan'
	option ip_source 'network'
	option ip_network 'wan'
	option service_name 'duckdns.org'
	option enabled '1'
	option password 'APIKEY'
	option use_https '1'
	option cacert '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt'
	option check_interval '5'
	option domain 'NAME'
	option lookup_host 'NAME.duckdns.org'

You have
option domain 'NAME’
instead of
option username 'NAME’

No idea why it would be different, but unless we have different versions of the ddns software then my guess is that that's the problem. I have ddns-scripts 2.7.6-13 and luci-app-ddns 2.4.8-2.

Also be careful if you cut and paste from the forum because the ' char is being changed from a straight one to a curly one in some cases.

I changed it because i saw in the log domain error

Wed Nov 29 22:03:13 2017 user.warn ddns-scripts[23851]: myddns_ipv4: Service section not configured correctly! Missing ‘domain’ - TERMINATE

Thanks, I've noticed about the " ' " character

this is the log file from the ddns i've configured (I've just changed real IP and ddns NAME)

021943       : verbose mode  : 0 - run normal, NO console output
 021944       : check interval: 600 seconds
 021944       : force interval: 259200 seconds
 021944       : retry interval: 60 seconds
 021944       : retry counter : 0 times
 021944       : No old process
 021944       : last update: 2017-11-30 02:04
 021944       : Detect registered/public IP
 021944       : #> /usr/bin/nslookup NAME.duckdns.org  >/var/run/ddns/duckdns.dat 2>/var/run/ddns/duckdns.err
 021944       : Registered IP '1.2.3.4' detected
 021944  info : Starting main loop at 2017-11-30 02:19
 021944       : Detect local IP on 'network'
 021944       : Local IP '1.2.3.4' detected on network 'wan'
 021944       : Waiting 600 seconds (Check Interval)

Maybe it does works ok and the PID XXXX button it's just a button to cancel the process ?

Thank you

Yes, if it says PID: xxxx and Last update / Next update has dates and not errors then it's probably running as it should.

The only thing that bothers me is that every few minutes it writes "Unknown error" in the next update column. Maybe it's because the WAN IP is still the same and doesn't need to be changed yet ? a bug in the duckdns translation to LEDE ?

I think it's just a Luci problem. It shows unknown error if the dynamic part of the admin page hasn't received a response from the web server yet.

Thank you for your help and support Per. Wish you a great weekend !