Dual radio WDS setup

Hello,
I just got 2 TP-Link EAP615-Wall to create a WDS bridge which works great on the 5ghz.
Since I won't be using them as APs, I'm wondering if there is a way to bond the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz and create a WDS bridge using the bandwidth of both radios?
What I'm really after here is maximizing the bandwidth available to the link.
Thanks!

unfortunately no it is not possible to aggregate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections, you will necessarily have to choose the 5GHz if you want to have more available bandwidth.

3 Likes

You cannot just create one connection on each band, or you will create a loop, and bring your network down. You can create two independent links, create a GRE tunnel on each connection, and then bond both tunnels together; I spent lots of time making that work, and the results were quite disappointing.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.
Disappointing how? Were there any improvements to the available bandwidth, even marginal? Or did it get worse?

Loadbalancing isn't trivial to begin with, it's rather difficult to get right. But it gets exponentially harder (and worse), the more your aggregated links differ in terms of throughput and inherent latencies. Expected speeds (under ideal circumstances, so close range and little to no interference from your neighbours) over 2.4 GHz are (at best, assuming 802.11ax on 2.4 GHz as well; without 802.11ax on 2.4 GHz, the figures would be much, much worse) a fourth (in practice more like a fifth or sixth of that) of the capacity you'd get over 5 GHz, so adding 2.4 GHz to the mix could (ideally) only provide a negligible improvement, but you still get to experience all the downsides - which are even attenuated for wireless links, with volatile throughput figures and varying degrees of lag and packet loss/ repeats. It's not worth the trouble and the result is likely (~guaranteed) to be worse than sticking to a single channel on 5 GHz.

@slh thank you for the very clear answer, I guess I won't be trying that!

What @slh said... :wink:

WiFi 7 will enable this using a technique called multi link operation, but there is no support for that in any OpenWrt release. Once WiFi 7 (802.11be) is ratified (late in 2024), it might become possible to do it.