DSL down after every reboot or shutdown

Hi, i'm new to openwrt,
Model: tp-link w8970 v1.2
Firmware: OpenWrt 19.07.3 r11063-85e04e9f46 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-20.136.49537-fb2f363
Connection type: PPPOE (VDSL2)
Problem: after every reboot or power off, no matter how i shut it down or reboot, my dsl line stays down forever, not even resetting the firmware fixes it, the only thing that fixes it is a new firmware flash, i also noticed i can't find pppd in the processes running, i noticed also that when i flash new firmware i have to erase configs aswell or dsl won't come up and after that if i load the config file that i have previously created the dsl goes down again forever. So everytime i flash i have to manually put all the configs (the same ones as before) to connect and use my router, thanks for helping

It seems your config is not been saved to flash storage.

Before rebooting check how much storage space you have available.

My memory seems fine, I have free more than 60% as I didn't install any package except sqm

Not memory, storage. Run df -h to see what you got.

2 Likes

yeah, sorry i misunderstood, here's what i got:

root@OpenWrt:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 3.5M      3.5M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    28.4M      2.2M     26.2M   8% /tmp
tmpfs                    28.4M     60.0K     28.4M   0% /tmp/root
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock4            2.4M    828.0K      1.6M  33% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        2.4M    828.0K      1.6M  33% /

Is that after or before you flash?
And what image are you using for flashing?

Now it's been 2 days without flashing it because i didn't reboot it or power off so dsl is working fine, so i'd say it's "before" flashing it?
I'm using this image:
openwrt-19.07.3-lantiq-xrx200-tplink_tdw8970-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

No, that would be after flashing.

If you happen to reboot, it would be interesting to check the version and the empty space after a reboot (before flashing again).

I can reboot now and send the result before flashing it if that would help

No, I have no specific idea as to how this is going to help. I was just wondering.

But if it's working now then I would leave it until you have to reboot it until someone comes up with an idea. You really shouldn't keep flashing the router too many times because the Flash memory isn't designed for that.

To me, the image looks ok and the space looks fine.

Reboot just happened, dsl down again.
this is storage after reboot, before flashing:

df -h:
root@OpenWrt:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 3.5M 3.5M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 28.4M 1.1M 27.3M 4% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4 2.4M 832.0K 1.6M 33% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay 2.4M 832.0K 1.6M 33% /
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev

If you have logs enabled, run grep pppd /var/log/syslog or whatever file you are writing logs to.

In a default installation the log is in RAM, the logread command will show it.

If you have any AP or Switch or Repeater, remove it and reboot, just leave the computer you are using connected.

it is default, so it's in ram, i tried running
grep pppd /tmp/log/syslog
but it says it can't find that directory

logread | grep pppd

The "|" (shift backslash key on most keyboards) sends the output of one process into another one. Here logread dumps the whole log then grep filters it so you only see lines that contain "pppd".

Or simply logread and look for lines related to ppp.

Also you should look at the /etc/config/network file. I'm not sure how to set up a combo modem-router, but clearly something is wrong with the config if re-configuring fixes it.

logread | grep pppd
gives me no results

what should i check in /etc/config/network ?

The wan should be of proto pppoe, and attached to the raw modem device which is likely dsl0.

i checked etc/config/network, and everything is correct
i checked logread manually, but nothing related to ppp was there

i only found these lines, if they matter
Mon Jun 1 15:51:41 2020 daemon.err odhcpd[1158]: Failed to send to ff02::1%lan@br-lan (Address not available)

Mon Jun 1 15:51:44 2020 daemon.err hostapd: Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf

Mon Jun 1 15:51:30 2020 daemon.warn dnsmasq[1031]: no servers found in /tmp/resolv.conf.auto, will retry

I was thinking, could it be the firewall service ?
Since all my configs are correctly saved after rebooting, but dsl stays down?