Does OpenWrt support the EPON/GPON function?

For example, the configuration of EPON/GPON?

No.

You have to choose among the following solutions:

1. Use the existing non-OpenWRT GPON ONU in bridge mode (that's what I do here in the Philippines with GPON).
  2. Buy a mediaconverter and convince the ISP to give you an approved GPON/EPON SFP (that's what I did back in Russia).
  3. Buy a router with an SFP port and get the SFP - but I don't know which OpenWRT routers support SFP.

Regarding the SFP, it really has to be approved by your ISP, even though AliExpress has all sorts of "working" ones. As GPON is a shared medium, one SFP with slightly-off transmit timings will ruin internet access for everyone.

If the ISP provides their landline phone service over the same fiber, then (1) is the only viable option.

1 Like

The EdgeRoter like EdgeRouter 4 with SFP has them operational.

SFP on our pretty new Realtek switches have them at least active but not guaranteed hot-pluggable yet.

But SFP technology is a pretty new chapter for OpenWrt so the general development is ongoing but we are getting better on this.

Usually normal home routers doesn’t have SFP to begin with.

ER-X SFP is a pretty good device for this. It works as expected. I use it with an ODI DFP-34X-2C2 ONU. You can find more information about the SFP device at https://github.com/Anime4000/RTL960x

I actually wanted to discuss the functionality of the PON, not the support for SFP ports, shown on the left side of the figure below.

-------------------------------------------
  |                                           |
  |                OpneWRT                    |
  |                                           |
   -------------------------------------------
  |  PON MAC    |             |  Ethernet MAC |
   -------------               ---------------
  |    PHY      |             |     PHY       |
   -------------               ---------------
       | S |                         | S |
       | F |                         | F | 
       | P |                         | P |