Does anyone sell OpenWrt-specific hardware?

No, OpenWrt is not getting an update... it's entire code base is being replaced.

• As I stated before, and of which is laid out very clearly in the agreed proposal, the only thing being kept is the OpenWrt name... just the name.

What new version? Please re-read my prior post, as that should answer your question.

I don't have a question. They aren't only using the name but also the domain.
Even if a git pull won't give you an update to the new version.
It'll be a new openwrt release because lede as a name won't exist anymore.
only in wiki history

EDIT:
what I mean by that is:
there's the technical perspective and the message everyone else gets:
and the latter is: openwrt is back!
stronger than ever ^^
because everyone united again

happy 2018! ^^

You're conflating two separate things...

• LEDE's website content will replace much of OpenWrt's website content, of which hasn't been maintained to a large degree.

• Again, OpenWrt's name, which by default includes the OpenWrt domain, is, for all intents and purposes, the only thing from OpenWrt that is being kept.
  • The OpenWrt codebase is not housed on their domain, but on GitHub (as is LEDE's), which again has not seen a commit in 12 months. LEDE's codebase will replace the entire OpenWrt codebase... I'm not understanding how this is difficult to understand.

Again, there is no new OpenWrt release... Why do you keep referring to some non-existent "new version"?

because I suppose there will be version 18 in 2018 :wink:
a version that gets never released under the lede name but in the original lede repo but on a github account named openwrt (from lede), right?

doesn't matter though
there will something new under unified flags, whatever the name, I'm glad :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can try GL.iNet products, their website is: www.gl-inet.com, and contact them through email: service@gl-inet.com

Dieter- Thank you! Very interesting, very nice hardware!

Oh, yes - I have seen them. Very nice - thank you!

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts on this.

I have decided to try a marketing experiment. I have a small pile of Ubiquiti hardware I can't use. I have created a little online store at http://openwrt-hardware.store to see if anyone wants to buy good, well-known hardware running OpenWRT instead of the vendor's firmware. Note: U.S. only, sorry about that.

Of course, I assume anyone who is reading this is quite familiar with the process of flashing OpenWRT onto a piece of hardware and is in no need of such a store. But, if you know of someone who would rather not go through that sometimes-painful learning process just to get OpenWRT-equipped devices, I would be grateful if you would refer them to http://openwrt-hardware.store (not a .com or other common tld).

If it turns out there is a market for such devices, I'll go find a reliable hardware supplier (perhaps an inexpensive router and a good router, along with some outdoor devices?) and turn this into a business. Otherwise, it will be an interesting experiment.

I'll be interested to hear what folks have to say about this. If it goes well, my hope is that it will complement the OpenWRT project and make the "fruits of our labors" more accessible to the "general public." If it goes all pear-shaped in some way I haven't anticipated, it will just disappear.

Thanks again,

Bill

Hi Bill,
unfortunately, our company decided to discontinue the MEN NM50 mobile wireless access point.

MEN focuses on computing and networking platforms for harsh environments in mission critical and even safe applications. Therefor MEN cuts older products where maintenance costs would not be in line with the expected revenue.

Dieter Pfeuffer, Software Engineering,
MEN Mikro Elektronik GmbH, Nürnberg, Germany

Not trying to rain on your parade, but have you read OpenWrt's trademark policy?

1 Like

That's a neat shop. I looked at the indoor router and didn't feel like doing further research on it. Could you explain why a particular router is suitable for openwrt/lede? So many can have lede installed, but really the ath9k with the fully open drivers are by far the better suited.

You might take a look at the list of routers in the TOH section "Ideal for LEDE + 802.11ac supported"...

https://lede-project.org/toh/views/toh_available_864_ac-wifi

Good point. Do you think any part of this violates the trademark policy? Perhaps the domain name could be considered an "organization name?" It is sometimes tricky with trademarks like this to determine where "fair use" ends and "violation" begins. But, of course, my interest is only in strengthening the OpenWRT "brand," so I would not engage in anything that would endanger or confuse that brand. (NOTE: I was remiss in putting the trademark ownership information on the site - thank you for reminding me!)

If this looks like it could turn into a business at some point, it's something that is certainly worth discussing. For now, it's still an interesting marketing experiment. And likely to stay that way - so far, zero sales.

Dana44 & jwoods-

Yes, it's an interesting question. If I were to go ahead with this, I'd prefer more "generic" hardware - something NOT from one of the more recognizable vendors - so I don't have to answer endless rounds of questions from people asking "what's the difference between this and the one I can buy cheaper on Amazon/Ebay/etc." (sigh...) and "Can I flash this back to the stock firmware?" ("Yes, and you can also stick sharp objects in your eye. Neither is a good idea...")

Thanks!

You use it as the name of your service, and you use it in a domain name, so clearly yes on at least two accounts. You use the OpenWrt logo in your website header, so one can even argue "suggesting an affiliation or endorsement." You pretty much nailed three out of four don'ts.

Maybe, but it's pretty clear cut here. You can't use them other to describe a service. You can say "I provide routers pre-installed with OpenWrt", because that's used as an identification. But you can't name your business "OpenWrt Routers." Just like you can't call your business "Dell Computers" or "Microsoft Software."

Listen, I'm not trying to put you or your efforts down, really I am not. But even though you didn't make any sales yet, preventing what you're doing right now is pretty much the reason why trademarks exist.

"I'm breaking the rules until it really pays off", is that what you're saying?

takimata-

I take your points. Legally speaking, it's a bit of a stretch. But if you truly believe that it could harm the OpenWRT brand or cause confusion, then I'll believe you, since (as far as I know) you have nothing to gain from trolling.

I'm "breaking the rules" until I have a sufficiently conclusive end to the experiment. However, it is not my intent to offend anyone, so I think it's best to end the experiment here, as I have clearly offended you, for which I can only offer an apology. My use of the OpenWRT trademarks was just to test the validity of the hypothesis I was testing.

The experiment's hypothesis was, "People will buy hardware (and perhaps pay a small upcharge) just because it is running OpenWRT." I don't regard this as a completed experiment (there should have been some more promotion), so the only conclusion I can draw is "not certainly true, and quite possibly false."

I still think it's an interesting experiment, and perhaps there's a way to do it in a way that's less offensive. I'm going to ponder that in my (nonexistant) spare time. :smiley:

Meanwhile, I still have a small pile of "old new stock" Ubiquiti radios in the corner of my office if anyone wants to buy a few.

It's not really a question of "offensive" it's just straight up trademark infringement, and so it violates the law. it's not really questionable either, you used their trademark in your domain name, a thing you're not allowed to do according to their trademark rules. But, to "fix it" you could just say "Moffitt's Advanced Routers" and advertise them as "Pre-installed with OpenWrt" and it'd be legit, because you're allowed to use "OpenWrt" to identify the software you're installing according to their trademark usage rules.

To me this just seems like kind of normal everyday not quite understanding how trademarks work. OpenWrt is required by law to enforce their trademark against you, otherwise they lose it.

If the market exists for that, I would think that the user experience level would fall into the intermediate category.

More experienced users will likely purchase and set up their own routers.

Which begs the question...as a "vendor", are you prepared to help users configure OpenWrt on your devices, and support it when things go wrong.

No, I am absolutely not trolling you, and I am trying to stay as positive and helpful about this as possible. I don't even feel very good about having to tell you about this stuff.

Also I find nothing "offensive" in having made a mistake.

However, what I do find offensive is ...

... trying to talk your way out of it. The rules are very clearly spelled out, and you do very clearly violate them. Period.

Attorneys make those calls.

It would be prudent to consult one before proceeding.