Dnsmasq restart

Hello i have a real problem, form the log i can see that dnsmasq interface restart every 2 minutes...

i have 2 ppp connection and the adblock package... can anyone help me underestanding this problem? i have the log ver spammed with this and i think it's the reason of the package drop

Which router?
Which OpenWrt version?
Anything useful in the logs?

just dnsmasq restarting, openwrt trunk , router r7800

FS#1492, been ongoing for bit now.

yep that's it...
as i have a dual stack connection
what did they change, some time ago wasn't like that

Does it really fully restart, as you say...
I think that usually it just reloads the config very frequently.

If it really restarts, there is the log line like this:
daemon.info dnsmasq[3172]: started, version 2.79 cachesize 1000

Core reason is that some change in the database of device name/address allocations outside dnsmasq cause the need to reload dnsmasq config in order to get it all the possible additions (like a dhcpv6 name assigned to a device by odhcpd or lifetime change of an address allocation).

That frequent config reloading is caused by changes in netifd & odhcpd so that all ipv6 address registrations and renewals by the devices trigger the dnsmasq reload. Has been happening since maybe November 2017 or so. Earlier some of the device database changes were left unhandled

I filed a bug about that (like anomoome already linked):

@dedeckeh already commented privately that he might do something later for odhcpd to mitigate the problem, but that may take some time.

1 Like

Apologies for the thread necro, but I just noticed this happening on my system, too, but with a little wrinkle. I'm running @davidc502's custom build for WRT32X, dual-stacked with a HENET IPv6 tunnel and delegated /48 and a relatively large Adblock list loaded in (~88k entries).

I've only noticed this in the last few days, but going back through my syslogs I can correlate a DHCPACK to my Playstation 4 with two reloads, one after the other, of dnsmasq 2-3 seconds later. No other clients on my LAN appear to be precipitating this behaviour.

The PS4 is requesting an IPv6 lease, as are many other clients on my LAN.

This isn't service affecting, as dnsmasq continues to respond to DNS queries during the reload, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

+1. Same here on openwrt 19.07.06 with some specific laptops on my LAN (running xiaomi router 3G)