DNS Servers question (65.19.96.252)

Hello there!

I am new to OpenWrt. I just bought a wrt3200acm a few days ago.

Firmware: OpenWrt 21.02.0 r16279-5cc0535800 / LuCI openwrt-21.02 branch git-21.285.75922-4fd8c83
Kernel: 5.4.143

I installed dnscrypt-proxy, and adblock. Dnscrypt and adblock are fowarding to dnsmasq, which I believe is default as well. Besides that, my setup is pretty much stock. When I look up my dns, using dnsleaktest, the correct resolver is returning, the resolver I have set in dnscrypt-proxy. I also see my dns queries in adblock -> dns report. So it looks like everything is working. However, in Status -> overview -> network information, it's showing:

DNS 1: 65.19.96.252
DNS 2: 65.19.96.253

I'm just curious as to why this is? I never set it to that, seems like it's there by default openwrt install? searching the ip, i've come across the ip in a few forum posts here. the IP seems to be owned by Hurricane Electric which is a global backbone for internet. I'm just looking for information, as I'm new. Is this fine? Should I change DNS Servers in Interfaces -> LAN to localhost:5353 (dnscrypt)? like how it is in network -> dhcp & dns under dns fowardings? Or is it like that for a reason?

Thanks in advanced.

1 Like

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/base-system/dhcp_configuration#upstream_dns_provider

1 Like

I was reading that, but since I didn't see the IP in my first post, I kinda skipped over it, I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for this. It solved my issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.