I just switched from an older DavidC build to the latest OpenWRT available to me (OpenWrt 19.07.2, r10947-65030d81f3) and I've been getting all kinds of strange issues. I'll make separate topics for them for clarity.
For one, I keep getting DNS rebind notifications for my internal Windows domain. I set these options (the first two are default):
dhcp.dnsmasq.rebind_protection='1' dhcp.dnsmasq.rebind_localhost='1' dhcp.dnsmasq.local='/domain.local/' dhcp.dnsmasq.domain='domain.local' dhcp.dnsmasq.server='/ad.domain.local/172.25.227.27' dhcp.dnsmasq.rebind_domain='ad.domain.local'
In this case, the 172.25.227.27 is my downstream DNS/Domain Controller. It has OpenWRT as a forwarder.
I do also notice my domain connectivity is very sketchy. Before my clients could find their domain controller from OpenWRT, now I need to specifically give them a DHCP option making the downstream server their DNS. And I'm getting some strange errors on my DC in the DNS section. Plus, my clients won't register themselves in the Windows DNS anymore, even with the DHCP option setting it as their primary DNS.
The one difference I see between the old and new configurations is that in the old configuration
local was set to its default of
If it matters, I did change the IP from 192.168.160.x/24 to 172.22.227.x/24 (which I came to painfully regret, Windows DC's really don't like having their IP changed). They are both private ranges, so it should make no difference IMHO.
I'm getting a bunch of other rebind log notifications, but those I can accept as legitimate, even though I didn't get them before. Maybe DavidC had/has a different log setting, maybe the newer DNSMASQ logs more.