DLink DIR-853 A3

Hi @kar200 i am thinking to solder pins with 4 pin extender and then connect that with usb to ttl.

Yeah i have raspberry bi but in my hime country. I don't have here in dubai.

@kar200 by the way i have soldering kit. So i am not worried at all.

1 Like

Ok then you are all set.

Will update you once i setup everything.

@kar200 btw after getting connected over console. Do i need to flash stock? And what commands usually you use for the recovery process.

Bundle of thanks in advance

Actually hold on I just tried flashing the factory image and getting a bootloop. You might have done it correctly. I will let you know how you can recover if I manage to do it without console.

Once you get the serial going as long as you don't intentionally overwrite the bootloader with a bad file you can flash anything you want (stock, openwrt ...etc).

There is an option in the bootloader to start a tftp client that will just upload the file you give it and flash the factory partition.

1 Like

Try the following:

When the device is booting use a pin and press on the reset button several times. Do not keep it pressed but rather press/release non stop (it doesn't have to be fast).

If the router power light starts flashing blue it means it is in recovery mode (openwrt recovery).

You can then connect an ethernet cable to lan port number 1 the one next to the wan port. Set a static ip to your computer (192.168.1.101) and use winscp or any scp software to copy the RC2 for example to the device

You can then run

mtd write openwrt.bin firmware

If you don't get the flashing blue light it means you will need the USB TTL

Good luck

Hi @kar200 i did recover two times like this. But not getting into recovery mode any more after flashing snapshot via luci web. So i think i have to look forward to usb ttl method..
Btw i have given it a try now also.

If you flashed snapshot (factory) via luci unfortunately it does not boot far enough to give access to the recovery option. From any upgrade from openwrt to openwrt through the web interface it you need to use the sysupgrade.

Sorry I thought you were upgrading from padavan that's why I thought you would have used the mtd method (which would have worked even from openwrt)

1 Like

No worries man. That's a spare one. And i am just learning stuff. So this usb ttl method is also a new chapter in learning. I am pretty sure i will recover. Sfter if there is any way to recover then i am no more worried unless we put it in garbage

@kar200 hi, heheh so the thing is i put that router in trash..basically i damaged the pins of console embedded on pcb. So ili have said good bye to it.

Can you please suggest me any good router who can run stable opewrt. And is not much expensive?

I think the dir-853 is a good router by the way in its category and price range. They go for around 50AED I think (never bought one) on FB market for example (I saw a guy who has a picture of a lot of them). The only issue at the moment is with the wireless but still I think it performs well.

I don't use it as my personal router at home so I am not sure.

The most powerful router as far as I know (outside of x86) would be the wrt3200acm. It does have some issues with wireless depending on the wireless cards of the clients but in terms of CPU the mvebu platform is the best I think.

For hardware recommendations please open a new topic in the Hardware Questions and Recommendations category of this forum.

Hi @kar200 i have got another Dir-853. And it is on stock. Can i flash that factory image from the stock webui?

Hi,

No at the moment the factory image is unencrypted so it won't work (but wont hurt the device and you will only get an error message).

You need to start with the RC then flash the sysupgrade image. In fact once you are in openwrt you loose the recovery protection that you have with other devices. My advice is to alwasy use the web interface and do not force any upgrade from openwrt (unless it is through SSH).

EDIT: FLASHING THIS BOOTLOADER IS OPTIONAL AND NOT NEEDED
I will attach the uboot from the DIR-1360 that will let you recover easily from a bad flash. Please scroll back up and see how it is done. Please check the sha256sum before you flash it (check using the command when it is already copied).

PLEASE NOTE A BAD FLASH OF THE BOOTLOADER IS NOT RECOVERABLE AT ALL. please use at your own risk.

@kar200 thanks a lot. I already flashed rc2. Now first i will flash bootloader and then sysuograde from master list/repo.

Hi @kar200 One more question. On one wifi it is showing wireless is not associated. Any idea?

The joy of the DBDC with the open source driver. you always have to set the radio0 as 2.4g and radio5 as 5g.

You also need to set the country code to AE (or any other country to your liking) and don't leave it blank. I noticed that sometimes the device will not boot otherwise.

1 Like

@kar200 Thanks, i managed to flashed boot also, incase if something goes wrong, now one last question, when I am trying to upgrade from RC2 to sysupgrade. the web interface is asking to force upgrade, is it fine if I do that? and in Master List, what is kernel used for ? do we need to flash that too?

sorry my bad, i picked the wrong firmware. SOrry for that.

but what does this Kernel image do?

I know you find the answer but again never force upgrade. The sysupgrade has extra info about the device and checks it is the correct image (as you could see in your screenshot).

Which kernel?

1 Like