Divested-WRT: No-nonsense hardened builds for Linksys WRT series

hi,

I have the 32x router, is it possible to use that build?
thanks

Which build, if your talking about OP's build then yes there is a WRT32X firmware image on there.

I see, I thought you were the same :wink: Ive read too fast.. sorry.
if I understand, you too have a build for 32x,?

Yes I have a private build myself, currently compiling r15404 right now for testing. However OP's build is very good your only missing on a CPU Schedule patch and nothing else.

2 Likes

Same here, WAN did get a public IP address (IPV6 included) but LAN couldn't connect to the internet. Looked like LAN hosts didn't get IP via DHCP and DNS wasn't working

Sure I'm missing a step, just don't know which...

I experienced the same and managed to resolve this by forcing DCHP server on br-lan interface. (under DCHP Server / advanced Settings)

@dynasticorpheus

I experienced the same and managed to resolve this by forcing DCHP server on
br-lan interface. (under DCHP Server / advanced Settings)

Can you try commenting the interface=br-lan line in /etc/dnsmasq.conf instead?

I could not get internet access across the LAN ports

Same here, WAN did get a public IP address (IPV6 included) but LAN couldn't
connect to the internet.

Strange.
It should just work.
I don't have one to test.

I really wanted to use your build for its simplicity, but the first attempt put me off... Especially when I'm only home at night so being without working internet is a recipe for disaster :slight_smile:

The only thing I find it's missing is SQM / Cake which I came to love and is the reason I left pfSense for OpenWRT. Would it be too much to ask you add SQM / Cake, and I'll give it another try?

And lastly - how do you determine when to generate a new build? Stability, new major kernel version, etc?

@wally_walrus
I will look into including the SQM packages.

how do you determine when to generate a new build?

I check the commit log every so often and if I see anything interesting or
important I'll do a build. Otherwise at a minimum, at least once every two
weeks.

1 Like

I see you generated a new build that includes SQM - Thank you! Will give it a try shortly

How would I install additional packages if I need to? Does your build point to the official package repository? I know about the pitfalls - ie install at the same time or shortly after

Thanks again

OP's build do pull from openwrt however the pitful is if you need to install anything that requires a kmod (Kernel module) it will fail to install.

1 Like

So I think I figured what wasn't working in my case... My network is only using the WAN and LAN1 ports of my mamba device (have a switch in front of LAN1 that takes care of VLANs). I converted my swconfig-based configuration to DSA and thought I followed instructions to the dot, so was disappointed not being able to access the internet from the LAN...

So today I flashed the new build (Jan 09 - thanks @SkewedZeppelin) and played a little more with the device. I quickly realized that DHCP doesn't provide IP addresses on the LAN, but if I had a fixed IP it works. So I started comparing all config files to my previous swconfig-based installation (dhcp, network, firewall) but couldn't find anything wrong.

When I finally checked /etc/dnsmasq.conf and lo-and-behold there was one line at the end that was pointing at the br-lan interface WHICH I NO LONGER USE. In fact that was the first thing I did when I reconfigured the network interfaces - disable the bridge across LAN1-LAN4

As soon as I removed the offending line and restarted dnsmasq, everything started working as it should.

Is this a bug or a build option that needs modified? Anyway after all this - me happy :slight_smile:

More likely because newer builds use DSA and not SWConfig so everything is different now.

@wally_walrus

As soon as I removed the offending line and restarted dnsmasq, everything
started working as it should.

That is something I add as a basic hardening measure, otherwise dnsmasq listens
on all interfaces.
I will add a note to the README about it.

Is SQM and everything else working after tweaking that?

Edit: that^ is my original message, I sent it nearly 2 hours ago. The OpenWrt Discourse mail relay didn't seem to pick it up.

@SkewedZeppelin

[quote="SkewedZeppelin, post:35, topic:80522, full:true"]
@wally_walrus

As soon as I removed the offending line and restarted dnsmasq, everything
started working as it should.

That is something I add as a basic hardening measure, otherwise dnsmasq listens
on all interfaces.
I will add a note to the README about it.[/quote]

Does it mean dnsmasq now listens to all interfaces, since there is no specific interface listed? Does this "all interfaces" include the WAN?

[quote="SkewedZeppelin, post:35, topic:80522, full:true"]
Is SQM and everything else working after tweaking that?[/quote]

Yes, they seem to work fine. Thanks again for including it!

I really wonder if I should be moving away from mamba to the other devices with a larger kernel partition, do you have any thoughts on that?

@wally_walrus

Does this "all interfaces" include the WAN?

Yes, however it won't matter unless you've added a rule in the firewall for it.
You can set it your LAN interface that you need if desired.

Yes, they seem to work fine.

Cool!

mamba to the other devices

I personally spent a number of hours looking at other OpenWrt devices available
for sale and honestly the all seem worse then these devices somehow.
I also really like the A/B partition these have. Being able to quickly revert
back to the last build is awesome!

1 Like

Agree about the dual partitioning scheme, what I was referring to was the mamba (WRT1900AC v1) long term prospects vs the others in the family (WRT1900AC v2, WRT1900ACS, WRT3200, etc) performance aside. Do you think the current impasse with the kernel partition size will be overcome?

Thanks for your thoughts

@wally_walrus

I don't think it'll be too much an issue.
There are already 5.10 builds available in other threads here.
It will probably be fine for a while.
If you do want to keep your eyes open for another device, I'd only recommend the
WRT1900AC v2 and WRT1900ACS.

From what I understand the WRT3200ACM and WRT32X are basically a scam.
Since their primary benefit over the WRT1900* is VHT160, except the only 160MHZ
blocks available to most people are in DFS spectrum.

@SkewedZeppelin Hi bud, sorry to bother your. Thanks for your hard work. I am wondering whats the best way to have everything compile thats not included in your current config for the LinkSys WRT range so people don't have the kmod issues should they want to install other packages?

I have edited the .config and everything that was not set i changed to =m but everytime i compiled even with the IGNORE_ERRORS=1 it still failed to make any images because of conflicts. I used to be able to do it with David's config but struggling now as i have been away from the game for a bit.

Doing it currently for the WRT32X and WRT3200ACM as it has the CPU Scheduler Frequency patch and its been confirmed working on them, still need to test the others before building them fully.

Just want to save myself from building images for each users requirements if you get my drift.

Sorry for the Off Topic though.

1 Like