Divested-WRT: No-nonsense hardened builds for Linksys WRT series

Ugh so tired of this. Wish there was a Linux supported router you could just update regularly with apt-get or whatever.

edit: I may have overreacted with this message last night lol. Will patiently hope the devs are able to get it back in, looking forward to the 5.15 fixes with our target.

3 Likes

There are options for installing pure Linux on WRT - https://github.com/Chadster766/McDebian

1 Like

When you get that figured out let me know... :upside_down_face:.

I ended up settling with OpenWrt 21.02.5 r16688 (Linux 5.4.215). Shutting down the radios and adding a Unifi U6-Lite WiFi AP.

I added "attendedsysupgrade-common" in luci. I configured it to show my package list.

Any time Luci Software shows an update to an installed package, I use "attended sysupgrade" and let it create an image on the other partition. If one of the updated packages has a bug that breaks the system I can revert back to the working partition.

So far so good and hopefully kernel 5.15 will work out in the future.

1 Like

That's a good move, I reluctantly remain with 22.03.2 dispite of the dsa bug/switch acting as a hub (ipq806x remains on ancient swconfig, but mvebu gets shoved on DSA with unresolved bugs? Come on.). It's still rock solid, my uptime is ~45 days, and I need the exFAT kernel driver added in 5.10 for my USB3 Samba share. Even with the bugs mvebu works well enough on my 300/30 Mbit cable modem, SQM Cake at 300Mbits is easy on our target. Hopefully kernel 5.15 gets re-approved to move up to master snapshot builds and put this mess behind us.

If it's not resolved I'm toying with replacing the WRT32X with a NanoPi R4S (or R5S / R6S), Gigabit switch, and one or two U6-Lites in mesh (or U6-Mesh if I want to splurge) combo next year. Most OpenWrt supported all-in-one devices are older and slower than mvebu, which seems to have fading support. No interest in switching to a 10 year old ipq806x with an unstable NSS build just to get support. Nothing new/performant made in the last few years with wifi 6 is any good on OpenWrt yet so I think the NanoPi is the only choice. Was hopeful for the ipq807x (RAX120) would have happened but drivers seem to be the limiting factor and not sure it's worth the money anyway.

Mainly I'm just frustrated about the 5.15 kernel situation with mvebu at the monent. I still love OpenWrt as a project and digress.

3 Likes

I've got a belkin RT3200 that I use as an AP (wrt32x as main router, including wifi) that has been pretty good.

I was about to upgrade my wrt32x to 22.03.2, but saw this thread, so I'm going to wait a little. On the plus side I learnt about the other partition on the WRT32x, which is pretty handy. I reverted back to the image that was on the other partition, which unfortunately had a version of 19 with a sort of broken WAN setup. Luckily I was able to reset the device 3 times to revert back to the working partition. phew!

Yea I respect the RT3200 as a entry level wifi6 device with good support, but it's lack of USB3 port is a hard pass for me. Also it's mid tier CPU and RAM specs is a bit dissapointing for a 2022 router.

edit: looks like kernel 5.15 commit is back today :smiley: will test a master snapshot in a couple days once they're up.

2 Likes

Did you already try the master, is 5.15 already included?

Going to download the latest snapshot this Friday and test over the weekend.

3 Likes

Installed the 12/23 snapshot on my WRT32X with kernel 5.15 and all my usual packages today. Running it as my main router. First impressions are good -

• First time I've seen all LEDs blink individually again on the switch ports in years, since I ran 5.4 builds. This is a good sign since I believe the LEDs are tied to the switch driver. So it's probably not acting like a hub anymore like it was in 5.10 where they all blinked at the same time. I need to dive into it with Wireshark when I get some time to confirm.

• SQM Cake on my 300/30Mbit cable modem (350mbit with overprovisioning) is easily achievable still with +0ms to ul/dl on bufferbloat test. I'm hitting 60-70% load on CPU0 (CPU1 untouched) with SQM Cake at a 310Mbit cap. This is with packet steering enabled, no CPU difference noticed with it off though.

• Samba 4.17 is a nice upgrade. Running great serving my USB 3.0 SSD, holds 120 MB/s reads maxing out gigabit LAN easily.

• Stable so far, hammered the CPUs for a few hours and kept an eye on things with htop.

• Software flow offloading is indeed broken right now. As soon as I enabled it nothing gets through the firewall. I think this has been noted on other forum pages regarding the current master branch. Don't need it since using SQM right now anyway.

3 Likes

wrt1900acs v2

it seems that if you have active android tracking in the adblock list, wifi phone it no longer works , I experienced the same problem on the Divested-WRT version after installing adblock!

@oli

The list in Divested-WRT is actually originally tuned for the phones as part of my Android fork: DivestOS.
I've not seen it break VoWiFi if that is what you mean.
You can use tcpdump -i br-lan udp port 53 to see what it looks for.

3 Likes

woohoo!

Can confirm that all switch ports are independent now! I kind of gave up trying to isolate hardwired connections on the LAN, but now I can bind a port to the guest interface without borking the rest (no need for VLAN filtering rules).

Thanks for posting otherwise I wouldn't have thought to try it out again.

1 Like

Is there a way to use attended sysupgrade and make the jump from stable to snapshot? In Luci it only offers 22.0.3.2. Would it work in CLI, using auc, changing the target there (-B SNAPSHOT)?

Any other issues apart from the software flow offloading you've run into?

Thanks!

No other issues. It's fast and completely stable, 3-week uptime now on kernel 5.15. SW flow offload is broken on master right now. I've been keeping an eye on the github commits to see if it gets fixed. Won't matter if you use SQM, since they are (mostly) incompatible features. There is no going back to the mess of 5.10 :smiley: Going to do another master build end of this week I think.

Personally I wouldn't do sysupgrade for this, I did a clean install, added packages, and moved my config over takes under 10min.

If you run Divested builds just install sysupgrade over his, since he switched it to 5.15 too.

5 Likes

Hello and thanks for the build. I've been testing SNAPSHOT r21753+10-2a3283643c sysupgraded from OpenWrt 22.03.3 on my WRT32X without mayor problems, however wireless clients seem to be isolated even when the option is 0 in config. Bellow wireless config (according to template), any help is appreciated!

root@ven0m:~# cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0'
        option hwmode '11a'
        option cell_density '0'
        option country 'IE'
        option htmode 'VHT80'
        option channel '36'
        option txpower '30'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option macaddr '00:00:00:00:00:00'
        option ssid 'Changeme'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option key 'changeme'
        option wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries '1'
        option multicast_to_unicast '0'
        option isolate '0'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option cell_density '0'
        option channel '11'
        option country 'IE'
        option txpower '30'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        option vendor_vht '1'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
        option device 'radio1'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option macaddr '00:00:00:00:00:00'
        option ssid 'Changeme'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option key 'changeme'
        option wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries '1'
        option multicast_to_unicast '0'
        option isolate '0'

config wifi-device 'radio2'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option path 'platform/soc/soc:internal-regs/f10d8000.sdhci/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/mmc0:0001:1'
        option cell_density '0'
        option country 'IE'
        option htmode 'VHT80'
        option band '5g'
        option channel 'auto'
        option disabled '1'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio2'
        option device 'radio2'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'Changeme'
        option encryption 'psk2'
        option key 'changeme'
        option disabled '1'
1 Like

@sur1v
can you test with the multicast_to_unicast option removed?

Thanks for the quick reply @SkewedZeppelin. I just tested (deleted both lines and restarted interfaces) and same results, wireless clients not being able to reach other network members than the router.

heya phinn, can you share sqm config please?
I used layer cake and cake-autrate to achieve low ping on bufferbloat, but now just using sqm with cake, speeds are ok, but latency still a problem.
do you have a config to prioritize gaming and video, or just sqm and lowering speed under cap?

Nothing special... just SQM cake enabled, interface set to wan, 300Mbit dl cap, 20Mbit ul cap (90% values for both dl/ul since my isp has overprovisioning on dl), link layer adaptation set to ethernet overhead 22.

No advanced settings. I've toyed with them as per the Openwrt sqm docs pages but didn't see any measurable improvement so just leave all that default.

These are actually my results on the doc page I put on there some time back: [https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm]

1 Like

Why are downloads so slow???