Divested-WRT: No-nonsense hardened builds for Linksys WRT series

@sunchar
Please try deleting all of the ipv6 lines in /etc/sysctl.d/60-restrict.conf and rebooting to see if it fixes IPv6 connectivity.

1 Like

Thank for your reply!

It didn't work.

@SkewedZeppelin -
i do think r15949 has other problems - wireless connections lose binding to lan vlan (when in dumb-APmode)
this was an old issue since dts migration that has recurred in this build. it has not been an issue in your prior builds. i am not expert enough to troubleshoot further without assitance. i'm back on r 15889 now
thanks

Outdated and very insecure.
Doesn't provide GPG sigs.
Has a massive forum thread (with questionable info).

If you want/have time, could you explain this a bit deeper? Espescially the very insecure part.

I'm a little in to openwrt and kind of understand the development, bug fixing etc that is going on continously and that you are creating your builds from. That keep things up to date security wise, and also you provide information about what packages you include, that makes the build transparent so users can get a feel for what they are installing.

But if we go way out there, is it possible that I know run a compromised software on my router?
In the scale of solarwinds attacks and other hacks I totally agree with myself that yes I could be running something compromised, but that could be on my win10 laptop, my old server, my iphone, my chineese christmas tree (with wifi). Sorry, I'm kind of answering my own chain of thoughts.. :slight_smile:

I have 2 wrt-32x and I am noticing that when I walk around and my device switches between the 2 it takes at least 20-30 sec before I get any network access. I can watch them switch in the webui but network traffic goes a bit odd and I cant access anything until it decides its ready.
I am currently using the No-nonsense build r15963+10 - and have irqbalance set to 1.
I was originally seeing this when i built my own firmware and thought maybe it was something I'd done wrong.
Anyone else notice this?

"Coverage Call Density" was disabled. I dont ever recall using that setting or turning it on in previous builds. But so far enabling that has actually made a significant difference and switching between 2 wifi isn't even noticed anymore. An almost instant switch and no more waiting to reconnect.

So as of now I can say the wrt-32x is running really smooth as an ac point and wifi has stabilised.

Has anyone had any luck setting up the "802.11r Fast Transition" properly. Any pointers or examples ?

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in and give my thanks. Updated my WRT1900ASC on Monday and since then it have been fast and stable. Thank you for all your great work! If I ever meet you IRL, I buy you a pint.

1 Like

Modifying /etc/config/dhcp and adding the last four lines IPv6 worked again:

config dhcp 'wan'
        option interface 'wan'
        option ignore '1'
        option dhcpv6 relay
        option ra relay
        option ndp relay
        option master 1

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

1 Like

Happy Friday, hope everyone is doing well!

Sorry to bring this question up again but I can't seem to figure out what is wrong..

Has anyone had any issues with devices dropping connection after some time while remaining on the network, which then comes back after leaving/rejoining?

I have experienced this with my Android phone (ver. 11) on the stock divested builds, with a traditional wireless setup (WPA2-PSK), adblock on, SQM QoS, and irqbalance. Not sure what is happening but sometimes it will last over an hour, but will then subsequently drop much more frequently within 10 minutes or so. I am unable to reach LuCI or ping anything when it's in that state.

Just trying to see if anyone else is experiencing something similar, or maybe it's just something wrong with my phone? I end up switching back to an old swconfig build that doesn't experience this issue so I'm guessing it's a config setting that I'm unaware of.

Thank you for your time.

@digital_mystik
Is it just your phone dropping out? Are you running stock? Aftermarket ROM?

@skitts24
iirc 802.11r should just work if you check it on as long as you are using WPA2-PSK.
With EAP you need to do special configuration by hand.
At a minimum I think the wildcard works, but is not as secure as specifying all radios:

option ieee80211r '1'
option mobility_domain '216a'
option ft_over_ds '1'
option pmk_r1_push '1'
option r1_key_holder ''
list r0kh "ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff,*,6D5EADC519ED219DBD22AC8D4C92CB20"
list r1kh "00:00:00:00:00:00,00:00:00:00:00:00,6D5EADC519ED219DBD22AC8D4C92CB20"

use

hexdump -n 16 -e '4/4 "%08X" 1 "\n"' /dev/random

for generating keys.

1 Like

Hi @sunchar thanks for posting this! My IPv6 configuration "works" in the sense that WAN as well as hosts on the main LAN receive IPv6 addresses. Tests from the main LAN using test-ipv6.com give me a score of 10/10. My issue is I do have a few more LANs (OPT4, OPT5, OPT6) on separate VLANs (LAN1.40, LAN1.50, LAN1.60), and these don't work in IPv6 despite seemingly identical configuration in LuCi...

LAN shows the following in /etc/config/dhcp (as opposed to OPTx) but I did not manually set any of them:

option ra_slaac '1'
        list ra_flags 'managed-config'
        list ra_flags 'other-config'

Could this be why LAN works while OPTx doesn't? If so - where should I add these settings? Are they available in LuCi, or /etc/config/dhcp only?

TIA

Hi all, my update strategy so far was to keep Linksys OEM on 1st partition, boot from it then flash the OpenWRT factory image on the 2nd partition. This worked but in order to speed up the process (given frequency of updates) I think I'm now ready to give up on it and start using the sysupgrade method.

So if someone could quickly confirm that I can in fact sysupgrade from the running (currently 2nd) OpenWRT partition and this will overwrite the Linksys OEM (1st). First time doing this I should not keep existing configuration (not that there is one to keep in the OEM partition) but on subsequent syspugrades I could actually do that and thus not having to clear and recreate the configuration every time

TIA everyone

Yes it will work, and yes you can / should keep your config

Many thanks @anomeome! I love these routers!

I've retired my WRT1900ACS V2 router as a switch. I thought of giving this No non sense build a try.

The 5Ghz wifi is half the speed compared to the Stock OpenWRT latest release firmware. I'm using the latest no non sense firmware.

It would also be nice if it supported OpenVPN.

I know things change, I may come back to this firmware if it starts supporting OpenVPN.

I installed the latest No-nonsense firmware version for wrt1900acs v2 everything went well , but I see that a problem persists on the wire I can no longer exceed 860Mbps speed!
Access Network PPPoE IPv4 and IPv6 Dual Stack 1Gbps.
With OpenWrt 19.07.5 and previous versions it runs without problems the 1Gbps connection!
You encounter this problem ?

@oli is performance any better when you aren't running tcpdump in the background? Do you also have sqm/cake running?

@gimbleguy how are you testing? And OpenVPN will never be supported by these builds.

Maximum performance is expected to be reduced due to the kernel hardening.

@SkewedZeppelin stock ROMs on two devices. Guessing others don't experience the same issue.. Wonder how I could go about checking logs either on my phone or router to see what happens when it drops :man_shrugging:

It appears that my computers are unphased and it's just my mobile devices

You can always build your own image. @SkewedZeppelin has some easy to follow guides/videos on this.

Heck, even I was able to follow it successfully. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@digital_mystik

• Running logread -f | grep -i hostapd on your access point
  • Running adb logcat -b all | grep -i -e prima -e qcacld -e supplicant -e wireless -e wifi on your mobiles