Divested-WRT: No-nonsense hardened builds for Linksys WRT series

tcpdump -i br-lan udp port 53

lol. Fair enough.

stupid question time..

is it safe to upgrade installed packages from within the luci system/software tab?

It is not recommended to upgrade packages unless you know what you are doing.

doesn't that depend upon the package you are updating?...I mean updating nano isn't an issue......updating openssl shouldn't be an issue either

but I presume updating the core files opens a massive can of worms.

can we determine which packages are safe to upgrade?

I'm asking because I would like to be able to mitigate security issues with packages which don't require a full build update

And the debate rages on. :crazy_face:

EDIT:
Found it! I put these on a usb when I first joined the forum in 2020. Maybe these will help (or not).

I'm just concerned about mitigating any security vulnerabilities in packages without having to do a full system upgrade. (I have my system setup using vpnbypass but I can't install this on the newer versions of the kernel cos it barfs due to kernel incompatibilities)

Edit: still looks like different links aren't able to coexist on different interfaces :person_shrugging: fixed - had to remove the bridge option set for the guest interface (not sure how it got there)

Is anyone able to assign ports to a guest interface such that a hardwired device will be isolated from the LAN along with having guest network firewall rules? I created this thread and am dropping it in here since I figured this would be a good place to ask as well:

Assigning Ports to Guest Interface - No Links Recognized

I appreciate any input, thanks in advance.

Dear all,
linux kernel 5.15 on our devices solve the issue of slow upload speed when on the switch is connect a 10 or 100 mbit device...

Is there a possibility to have the multi cpu dsa patch for 5.15?

Thanks

Hi, I'm on official openwrt 19.07.8 and want to update to the latest david version.

1. Can I just do the sysupgrade over my current official build?
  2. Is there a way to keep the settings without having to redo them?
  3. Anything else I must be aware of?
  1. Depends. There has been a change to kernel space on some boxes - you donā€™t indicate your specific WRT box - search the early forum posts for details.
  2. If you have vlans configured, you will be dealing with DSA instead of swconfig. Take a screenshot of your LuCI swconfig setup for reference. Other than that only /etc/config/system and /etc/config/network canā€™t be carried over. Most other package configs should be fine.
  3. Update! Lots of security updates since then. Lotā€™s of help if youā€™re stuck.
    You have a dual partition unit and this a good solid no-nonsense build. Try it out at your leisure
1 Like

There is no latest David version. The last one was r13342 May 2020.

I have WRT3200 and1900acs and had trouble with WiFi disconnects and speed with any newer version. I encourage you to try and see how you make out. Make sure you download "luci-app-advanced-reboot" so you can get back to your stable build. I and a couple of others on here ended up adding a Unifi U6-Lite WiFi AP. There are other brands. If you do... turn off the WiFi radios on your Linksys router and try this build or the latest OpenWRT firmware.

1 Like

Kernel 5.10 have bugs on mvebu... I suggest kernel 5.4, so openwrt 21.x ok and don't use wpa3-wpa2 mixed mode...

I had 200+ days uptime with my WRT32X on kernel 5.10 builds before upgrading to 22.03.2 and now I have a 30+ day uptime since release. Kernel 5.10 is rock solid on this target, kernel 5.15 coming soon will be even better. There are very few bugs related to uncommon packages like upnp and a couple fringe things with nftables. There should be no hesitation to update. I think the people having trouble aren't doing clean configs after updating to the new branch.

Btw, wpa3 will never work on this target, it's broken in mwlwifi which has been abandoned for years. So yes of course only enable wpa2.

How many devices connected via lan on your wrt32x?
if more than one...
Please check leds activity. blink only the one that is transferring data or all?
Please also check network speed if one is 10 or 100mbit.

All 4 ethernet ports used: 2 PCs, 1 gigabit switch with a few devices on that, the 4th is a U6-Lite (wifi 6 access point runs to a more central location in my house). All 1000BaseT and zero issues.

Yes I've heard of a 10/100 Mbit mixed use bug, haven't tested it, heard it might be fixed in kernel 5.15. I haven't looked at the leds in a very long time, turned off all the ones I could.

Internet is 300/20Mbits cable modem, SQM cake handles it easily, A+ bufferbloat/A+ quality.

This is why you don't see the bug, but the bug is there.
With kernel 5.10 if you take a look with tcpdump you can see that all incoming traffic is forwarded to all ports...

This is what I see from first test on kernel 5.10 on mvebu devices, could be different your situation, but I don't think so.

1 Like

All my WRT3200 LEDs are flashing at the same time with 22.03.2 (Linux 5.10.146). You saying to go back 21.x?

Radios turned off. I'm sticking with U6-Lite AP connected to my LAN 4 port going forward. As "phinn" stated...rock solid. But I have noticed the 4 flashing LAN LEDs.

1 Like

Yes that is a visible bug on 5.10 kernel. If for your use you don't meet any issue you can use it... My suggestion is to use or kernel 5.4 or previous or 5.15.

1 Like

I loaded 21.02.5 (Linux 5.4.215) on the second partition last night and configured it. I noticed the 4 LEDs working independently again.

What version is using kernel 5.15? And what is the full tcpdump command you are using so I can reboot to 22.03.2 and see what's going on?

Thanks for the heads up. I got spoiled with DavidC's builds and really haven't been keeping up with the changes in OpenWRT in the last 2 years. I've been using Linux for a couple of years now but still learning.