Divested-WRT: No-nonsense hardened builds for Linksys WRT series

Hi all guys
Firstly, thanks to Skewed and all contributors for keeping the wrt devices alive.
I just discovered this thread and i'm reading it with lot of interest
I'm going to enable soon a 1G/200M ftth line, and they should provide me an ONT for it
I was wondering if my wrt1900acs will be good enough to serve my needs, and trying to figure out the best way to flash & configure my device, as soon as i'll lbe able to get my wrt back from the relocation boxes :slight_smile:

Thanks again
Soon

Having an issue with the latest builds, I did a clean install recently and noticed that upnp is not working on any of the provided builds.

I did a clean install with wiped configs, enabled upnp via the web gui and nothing happens, the list that use to populate remains empty and the ports remained closed. I checked /var/run/miniupnpd.leases and see it getting populated.

Any ideas on what to do?

First of all, thank you so much @SkewedZeppelin for your hard work, I want to test your builds and I've been taken a look to your instructions and your tutorial in video about how to compile and update the builds, but I have a few questions (because my listening isn't the best and without subtitles...):

Why do you change the order of the commands ("make download -j4" and "make nconfig"), and you change in your video the last command make download -j16 for -j14, why???

Other question, it's about the patches, I know that I don't need to use all of them, but before use them, I need to know which is the purpose of each of them, is there a way for a newbie like me to know this?? or is there some place or link where can I consult their purpose, I can imagine this is a newbie question, but I want to learn to compile images by myself.

Again, thank you so much for your hard work, tutorial and help, this is a great community, regards.

EDIT: One more question, why there are patches for kernel 5.10 and 5.15??, I've understood that the default kernel is 5.10, maybe, for people that want to use 5.15??

@Raskaipika

download and nconfig can be run in either order as long as the config isn't really changed.

For the threads (-jX) it can be faster to use fewer threads for downloads, and is best to use as many as you have for the compile.

For the kernel tweaks, I applied it to 5.4 and 5.10, and when 5.4 was replaced with 5.15 I just applied the changes there. As of recently you can compile 5.15 for these devices, but it isn't default yet. I think there is still an issue with vlan handling? I need to double check.

1 Like

You have to go back to 19.07 before going back to stock.
Its due to the kernel resize

The 20220917-00 update adds support for many mt7621 devices as I recently learned of the WAX202 and its very appealing price.

https://divested.dev/unofficial-openwrt-builds/mvebu-linksys/20220917-00/ramips_mt7621/

Question:

I give up on upgrading from the Davidc502 r13342 snapshot on my WRT3200. Seems like Linux kernel 5.4.42 is the EOL for this router as far as stable WiFi connections. I've tried every suggested WiFi settings.

I also have a WRT1200 and 1900 stored away. Both ACS v2.

Would I have any better luck upgrading either of those routers? Thanks

@taz840209

My 1900ACSv2 and 1900ACv1 are largely stable for Wi-Fi as configured like the template: https://divested.dev/unofficial-openwrt-builds/mvebu-linksys/templates/etc/config/wireless

r13342

I can't actually imagine using something that old from a security standpoint.

2 Likes

Does wrt32x support multi_cpu with dsa yet? I find my routers max DL is much slower with DSA in v21.02 branch. Before I could hit 980MB now I get mid 650MB (assuming its due to single CPU support).

@dk4dk4
I haven't followed it closely, but I don't think it was ever merged/enabled for these devices.

My 1900ACS is a v2. I think I'll dig it out and give it a try tomorrow.

Security standpoint? What would be the biggest threat? If it's WiFi...I'm out in in a rural area with one close neighbor who uses ISP equipment and not very tech savvy. Not much of a threat.

I use Linux for my computer and it's locked down privacy-wise.

@taz840209

r13342 is https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/e35e40ad82 from May 23, 2020
That is likely at least vulnerable to these

And likely many others, like these

2 Likes

Short answer - NO. Nothing to my knowledge has been accepted upstream.

WiFi development was abandoned when Davidc was building.

Try @SkewedZeppelin examples, I have pretty stable wifi on my 1900ACS V2. As far as EOL, not by a long shot. These are still very robust, capable wired devices. You can source a reliable WAP at a reasonable price.

Performance using DSA went down a bit, this is a disapointment since if anything performance should improve over time. No idea what upstream Linux is thinking if they are putting 'features' in that hurt performance. Other than that I love my WRT32X, it's perfectly stable and very fast for my 500/35 Mbit cable, SQM Cake gets A+ bufferbloat/A+ quality, USB 3.0 SSD gets 110 MB/s read-write over Samba, adblock, nftables, etc. all working great. I don't know what other targets that can achieve this speed. 5GHz wifi is decent for me, but I also have a U6-Lite (wifi 6 ap) plugged in sitting in a more central location of my house. Wifi 6 is faster and lower latency anyway.

I don't know any other target that is this stable and have a CPU fast enough for all that.

I consider these targets EOL in the sense that they are over 5 years old and no longer retail. We really should have better options these days, but we don't. If Ath11k ever works then maybe that (RAX120 or similar?). Otherwise it's move up to a R5S and seperate 2.5Gbe switch along with U6-Lite combo, but that setup is... cluttered. Who knows. WRT32X is good for the time being.

1 Like

Thanks

Looks like I'm digging out the 1900ACS. I agree these are good machines. Too bad we weren't given full access to the radios.

Also I'll look into the adding a WAP.

Thanks...I get the picture now.

First of all, thank you so much for this custom build, I've been able to compile the 20220915 version, the only thing that I want to ask is:

Do you've applied the CPU frequency scaling driver for mvebu to your custom build??, if the answer it's no, can be applied at the compiling time without problems? (there is a kernel 5.10 version available at the author's dropbox

EDIT: @solidus1983, the patch that you comment in this post is the same that I've commented?

Slightly off-topic, but very straight forward question on the wifi performance:

Is the OpenWrt Wifi performance (especially 5Ghz) for WRT32x
a) better
b) worse
c) the same
as on the OEM Linksys (venom) firmware?

Thanks!

Worse. Almost all open source firmwares have worse wifi than oem due to drivers. The MediaTek devices are apparently about on par.

1 Like