Divested-WRT: No-nonsense hardened builds for Linksys WRT series

Yes, yes, yes! Been away so missed this post, I use your builds on WRT1900ACS V2, regularly updated, I just thought the silence on the thread was an indication of how solid these builds are :slight_smile: - please keep up the good work.

1 Like

Thanks I will keep it disabled.

I went thru the entire thread looking for a fix for the WiFi disconnecting issue. Is this still unresolved? Or did I miss a fix? Thanks

Using your build on an ACSv2 and update on regular basis. I am very grateful for your builds as it keep the router safe with latest kernel updates and is tailor made for the Linksys WRTs.

Yep. Haven't been following as frequently due to the quiet thread, but still here and using builds on my WRT32X. Thanks!

its been a while since i've been here or played with the wrt32x - is anyone able to tell me how i can revert this back to stock firmware please.

btw i tried to do it via ssh

root@OpenWrt:~# sysupgrade -v -F -n /tmp/FW_WRT32X_1.0.180404.58B.img
Sat Oct  9 14:02:28 UTC 2021 upgrade: Image metadata not present
Image check failed but --force given - will update anyway!
Sat Oct  9 14:02:28 UTC 2021 upgrade: Commencing upgrade. Closing all shell sessions.
Connection to 192.168.1.1 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.1.1 closed.

Didnt work - would not get an IP. Tried it on my wrt-1900ac and stock firmware was restored fine with no issues.

OEM firmware may be on your other parition, however if you wrote a custom firmware over your oem firmware partition just follow the wiki:

[https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series#return_to_oem]

Btw 22.03-rc6 builds are working awesome for me on the wrt32x, something to consider.

Edit: read your second post, this is odd, it worked for me a couple years ago when I tried it, but doesn't look like you did anything wrong. Although I'm not sure what the "B" is near the end of the image name you entered though, that doesn't match the wrt32x image name on the linksys link.

You waited almost a year to reprise this issue?

the B is just a letter i typed in when i downloaded it again to make sure i selected the right oem image (thinking the first one i downloaded was corrupt or wrong).
At this point all i get is the power and lan1 light up and nothing else. Not sure what other way to diagnose the issue given that its not booting. i then just do the 30-30-30 to reset to Divested firmware. I even tried installing the latest build like you said and it works fine but as soon as i try to load the original firmware it just wigs out.
Only reason i was putting this back to stock was because im selling them as i dont have a need for them any more. replaced them with some ubiqiti U6 lites and hadn't looked back.

I am not sure what you mean? I don't recall ever asking for help to get help installing stock oem firmware before here.

Sat Oct 9 14:02:28 UTC 2021 upgrade: Commencing upgrade

Have you followed: https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt32x#return_to_stock_firmware

Ahh I see. I am guessing the ntp hasnt updated since i last used it as its not connected to the internet.

Yes, I have followed those steps.
I even just tried using DDWRT firmware and oddly enough had the same issue. Can the second boot partition be corrupted? weird.

I use U6-Lites for wifi now too, very fast little Wifi 6 aps. But still use my WRT32X with OpenWrt as my router, fast enough for SQM cake on my 500/35 Mbit cable internet (A+ bufferbloat and A+ quality tests) with samba, usb3 storage, adblock, dsa, nftables, dhcp, basically everything. It's a great perfectly stable little router.

yeah I've been using a tiny pc with opnsense as my router. Been using it for a bit now and find it to be pretty neat too. You're lucky you have 500Mbit cable where you live. im still stuck on fibre to the node and only 100Mb/s connection. I have 2 wrt32x and 2 wrt1900ac - i might just keep 1 of the wrt32x's and just sell the rest because i did enjoy openwrt firmware.

I've tested the mini PC route and was plesently surprised to stick with my wrt32x since the power consumption is so low for the performance. I've been toying with the NanoPi R5S as an 'upgrade' but not convinced it's even necessary unless I'm ever willing to pay for gigabit internet, which isn't anytime soon, at this point I have more than enough bandwidth and maintaining low latency is all that's needed for me. I love how well OpenWrt runs on the WRT32X.

2 Likes

As do I. Despite the wireless issues, this is still a beast of a box.

1 Like

Just use LuCi/System/Advanced Reboot And see if each boots. The page should show what each partition holds.

You already know how to get back to working partition.

Try using the Linksys naming convention for their firmware.

I am not sure the name of the file could make such a difference but if it does, my original test to install the original oem firmware was with the unchanged name. I also tried to install DDWRT firmware and the same thing happened. I had just restored 2 wrt1900ac routers back to OEM so it is a bit odd that this is happening with the wrt32x.

I have tried to update the firmware using ssh and Luci. Both ways I have the same results. is there a way to force install the firmware on a specific boot partition?

After flashing latest divested on both boot partitions and no issues, i tried again to install OEM and still no cigar!
I just get a local 169 address with the power light and lan light on. To me it seems like the firmware is not loading and its "stuck in limbo" of sorts. It wont respond to holding the reset button for 10sec and switching it on and off it just blinks on light a few times then lan light comes up but thats it.