Distributed building

Is it possible to use distcc for openwrt compilation?
I've tried 60-second instructions from https://distcc.github.io/ without success.

Are there some other tools for this?

I think we can look into staging_dir/host/bin/.
After make download, gcc and g++ inside staging_dir/host/bin/ are pointing to /usr/bin/cc and /usr/bin/g++.

Apparently, we can try changing these two symbolic links so that they point to:

• /usr/lib/distcc/bin/gcc and /usr/lib/distcc/bin/g++ for distcc
  • /usr/lib/icecream/libexec/icecc/bin/gcc and /usr/lib/icecream/libexec/icecc/bin/g++ for icecc (icecream)

I tried icecream with this method and it seemed OK. However, I think this may only accelerate the "tools" stage and not the "toolchain" and "package" stages.

Indeed icecc works!
But in addition to the links replacement, PATH should be prepended with an icecc's bin (which is /usr/lib/icecc/bin in debian): PATH=/usr/lib/icecc/bin:$PATH

1 Like

I think there may be a way to use distcc for OpenWrt image building, but I can't guarantee that this method will work for everybody.
Also, I haven't tested distcc + ccache.

This method involves using an external toolchain (prebuilt OpenWrt toolchain).
Currently, some steps are needed to make external toolchain work - please refer to this comment.
In addition, someone reported that libgpg-error fails to build when using external toolchain, so YMMV.

Steps (Replace mipsel with your device's architecture):

1. Configure external toolchain by following this.
  2. In staging_dir/host/bin/, create 4 wrappers (distcc_host{cc,cxx} distcc_{cc,cxx}) pointing to the corresponding compilers and chmod +x.
    Examples for distcc_hostcc and distcc_cc:
#!/bin/sh
exec distcc gcc "$@"
#!/bin/sh
exec distcc mipsel-openwrt-linux-musl-gcc "$@"
  1. Edit rules.mk so that the wrappers are used:
HOSTCC:=distcc_hostcc
HOSTCXX:=distcc_hostcxx
HOSTCC_NOCACHE:=distcc_hostcc
HOSTCXX_NOCACHE:=distcc_hostcxx
TARGET_CC:=distcc_cc
TARGET_CXX:=distcc_cxx
TARGET_CC_NOCACHE:=distcc_cc
TARGET_CXX_NOCACHE:=distcc_cxx
export TARGET_CC_NOCACHE
export TARGET_CXX_NOCACHE
export HOSTCC_NOCACHE
export HOSTCXX_NOCACHE
export TARGET_CC
export TARGET_CXX
export HOSTCC
export HOSTCXX
  1. Repack the external toolchain and install it on other machines
  2. Setup distcc on the machines:
  • Create symlinks mipsel-openwrt-linux-musl-{c++,cc,cpp,g++,gcc} in /usr/lib/distcc pointing to /usr/bin/distcc.
  • Add/edit PATH= in /etc/conf.d/distccd so that distcc can find out where the compilers are located.
  1. Tweak DISTCC_HOSTS and try compiling.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.