Disable multicast_to_unicast

Hi,

I would like to disable multicast_to_unicast that is enabled by default on the wireless interfaces. I need to do it for troubleshooting. How to do it?

Relevant settings:

root@OpenWrt-882:~# cat /sys/devices/virtual/net/br-lan/lower_wlan0/brport/multicast_to_unicast
root@OpenWrt-882:~# cat /sys/devices/virtual/net/br-lan/lower_wlan1/brport/multicast_to_unicast

Thanks,
Arik.

Multicast to unicast

That link is for enabling multicast_to_unicast on lan interface. I want to disable it on wifi interfaces.
I tried these commands:

uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].multicast_to_unicast=0
uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[1].multicast_to_unicast=0
uci commit wireless
wifi up

but multicast_to_unicast is still enabled on the wifi interfaces after the reboot.

Did I adapt the commands correctly from lan to wifi?

Obviously, you should set 0 instead of 1.
And replace the interface name if required.

uci set network.lan.multicast_to_unicast="0"
uci commit network
/etc/init.d/network restart
1 Like

What should be the property name that goes after "uci set" so that it would refer to the wireless interfaces?

Assign the wireless interface to a specific network interface/bridge:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/guestwifi/guest-wlan#instructions

Ok, so I understand this now. Summarizing for the record.

multicast_to_unicast is a setting on the bridge interface, not on the specific interfaces such as lan1/2 or wlan0. This is confusing because if this setting is not set on the bridge interface then it defaults to 0 for wired and to 1 for wireless.

To disable this on all interfaces of a specific bridge run:

uci set network.lan.multicast_to_unicast="0"
uci commit network
/etc/init.d/network restart

where 'lan' is your bridge id.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.