Disable "Active DHCPv6 Leases" - only "Active DHCP Leases"

Hi

the same device in

• Active DHCPv6 Leases
  • Active DHCP Leases

why the double ip?

I wish that the device only gets an ipv4 address.

ipv6 complicated.

Quick and dirty: Disable the wan6 interface to disable public ipv6 assignment. If you don't have ipv6 internet the ipv6 addresses are doing nothing. Just leave them, they don't hurt.

Interfaces>WAN6 and unchecked "bring up on boot.

uci set network.wan6.disable="1"
uci commit

This may have side effects which I don't know and probably are not supportet officially! More "complete" would be:

uci set 'network.lan.ipv6=off'
uci set 'network.wan.ipv6=off'
uci set 'dhcp.lan.dhcpv6=disabled'
/etc/init.d/odhcpd disable
uci commit

There are a lot of threads here with more or less radical approaches e. g. disable kernel support for ipv6. Feel free to try. But be warned. It may have unexpected side effects!

1 Like

It's not. Unless there's a good reason, you should have it enabled. It's the future of the internet.

1 Like

this not working. I deleted that interface and still get ipv6 address. I did it in LuCI

You will still get ipv6 addresses from LAN interface. This addresses are doing "nothing" because they are routed within LAN only. Even if you would disable DHCPv6 on LAN interface your client machines will assign a IPv6 address to themself. Addresses are looking like:

inet6 fe80::dead:dead:dead:dead/64 (from client)
or
inet6 fd09:dead:dead::1/64 (from Router prefix)

2 Likes

It's nearly impossible to disable IPv6 completely nowadays.
Even if you recompile the firmware and remove the IPv6-related code, your LAN devices may still use IPv6 LLA to communicate with each other.
It's easier to accept and embrace IPv6, the sooner the better.

2 Likes

thank you guys.
Now everything clear

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.