DIR-867 A1 - as wifi repeater 23.05

Hoping someone can point me to a tutorial that will help.
I have found many using Openwrt 19 and older to create a wifi bridge and setup an older router as a repeater.

I am finding that 23.05 has many more option, and I feel already has a lot of the configuration built in now. But I have gone through about 4 videos on Youtube and all have a hard time matching with 23.05 and I have failed to reconnect to the router several times.

Anyone help or direct me to some help with this configuration on the current version?

Thanks
James

The configuration approaches for that haven't changed between those versions (the wlan interface names have, but those are device specific anyways, so no change to the status quo ante).

Hmmm. not having any success in getting this working. It should be very easy.

James

If you can (OpenWrt running on all wifi routers/ APs):

if you can't:

1 Like

I understood that the main router in my case the modem/router, did not require WDS but that if the router I am using does - which with the 23.05 Openwrt it seems to it would work fine. I am not seeing a doc for that config.
I am not able to install Openwrt on the main router/modem because it is owned by the ISP.

If you want to use the first option, "WDS/ 4addr", you must run OpenWrt on all involved WiFi APs (the repeater and the device you want to repeat), this is not optional but a hard requirement (technically it doesn't need to be OpenWrt, but it must be a nl80211 based FOSS driver, which essentially boils down to OpenWrt or general purpose linux).

If you can't use "WDS/ 4addr", because of the ISP router being the one to repeat over WLAN, relayd (or a routed client setup) is your only option, with all its technical bugs, quirks and shortcomings.
The only way out, would be disabling the wireless on the ISP router and attaching an OpenWrt AP per wire (ethernet), either in both places (no WDS/ 4addr or relayd needed, just dumb-AP setups) or at least near (as far as the ethernet cable goes) the ISP router, to be repeated by the DIR-867 configured with OpenWrt and WDS/ 4addr.

Appreciate it.

SO using the relayd method and the documentation tutorial, which was good and more up to date than a lot I had found. I have it working with the N radio in the router. Can I also add the AC radio to the bridge? or should I only do one band, even though I have a dual band router?

You have to choose, one or the other. If you're within range, the 5 GHz is probably preferable most of the time, as you will get more throughput out of it - at the edges of your range, 2.4 GHz will work in situations where the 5 GHz band cannot anymore (or at least becomes unreliable). There is only one way to find out, by testing in place - unless you move your repeater every few hours, the preferable band will remain quite static.

Trying to connect both would create a networking loop and end in havoc, you'd really harm (up to even taking down) your whole network.

If your repeater's location is regularly moving around, you'd need to looking into 'mesh' setups (802.11s, B.A.T.M.A.N. or similar approaches), which make dynamic routing decisions all the time - but this is considerably more complex to set up and costs performance (compared to WDS/ 4addr or relayd).

Talking about performance, as long as you are within comfortable 5 GHz reception areas, the 2.4 GHz band gives you so little performance relative to the 5 GHz band that you wouldn't win anything by adding it (even ignoring the additional complexity) in the first place.

--
Yes, this will change to some extent with 802.11be (wifi 7) and MLO, but we're far away from getting that to work in hostapd and OpenWrt, presumably months++ (my guess would be over a year) - and it's unclear at this point if/ when that will actually provide a benefit either.

Thanks so much, your responses were excellent. You were correct, in waiting I decided to try them both, and it messed up very nicely :slight_smile:

SO much so, that I think I will have to reset and start again. I cannot get a stable network if the DIR-678 is operating. Grrrr

James