Difficulties setting up wifi scheduling

I installed luci-app-wifi schedule but I find no menu entry or otherwise. I also cannot find any instruction online to see where it SHOULD be. The dead Internet strikes again. Can anyone provide guidance? This OS is not very intuitive. I've been using DDWRT for many years and love it. I can't believe I've spent hours trying to get this setup running.

Archer A5V5, flashed using TFTP. NTP doesn't work and neither can I find an easy way to schedule wifi activation. Sadly, those who are most proficient are also the most stand-offish. It's completely the opposite of when I was an underground HPVAC BBS sysadmin. Back in the day we loved teaching the kiddies. Now people who know are mostly jerks who just point to google, which is useless. It's not like 20 years ago when you could search the web and get 20,000 pages of results. Now you get 20 pages of 10 results, all from the same useless places. Dead Internet

I've never used wifi schedules, so I don't know exactly where the menu should appear. The general scheduler functionality is documented here, but it doesn't mention the breadcrumbs to the menu. You may have to explore a bit, but you can also do this using the config file directly.

That said, this is not my specific expertise, so I won't be able to help with wifi scheduling (but someone else should be able to help, I'm sure).

OpenWrt is a different animal. It is far more flexible that DD-WRT, but that also means that there is more to learn if you're not used to it.

If you're setting up just the very basics, it is pretty quick. But learning curves being what they are... I remember when I was first setting up VPNs on OpenWrt... it took me days to figure it out. But once you learn the basics, there is a lot you can do really quickly.

So let's address the NTP issue first... without NTP, your schedules won't work, obviously (or at least they will be fragile -- a power outage or similar reboot situation would mess that up).

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

ubus call system board
cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
cat /etc/config/dhcp
cat /etc/config/firewall

Given that this is your first time on this forum, I find it unlikely that you've had this 'stand-offish' experience with OpenWrt forum members. This is a forum with very knowledgeable and friendly contributors, and the whole point of this site is to help people with OpenWrt... so let's not assume you're going to have a bad experience. I'm pretty sure we'll get things running.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I managed to get the GUI for the scheduler up. Any package I installed went active immediately, save that one. I have no clue why.
The NTP issue was related to firewall permissions. I had to add a traffic exception because the client ise set to use whatever it can, so a specific firewall hole isn't possible. I will try to find out how to configure the NTP client's outbound port manually so I don't have to allow everything. I like to make sure if I slurp a worm it can't talk to the botnet. Any quick guidance on that would be appreciated.

My comment about standoffish replies was based on the thread i commented on. The poor guy asking for help didn't really get much; it was obvious to me that he just needed a little helping hand. Instead he was told to go google it, or "install this package". That's not the kind of help we used to give newbies when I was a handler. Even in IRC after flood punting the guy for fun a few times, we'd share some knowledge. It's even more important now that the Internet is dead. There are only a tiny number of places where AI hasn't locked you in a bubble of ignorance. Your reply was the kindest I'd seen, and a lot more in line with what I'd hope to expect. This site needs a tip button. I'm one of the few that still give them.

Thanks

OpenWrt 19.07.3, r11063-85e04e9f46
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@JabbedHaveMutatedDNA:~# ubus call system board
{
        "kernel": "4.14.180",
        "hostname": "JabbedHaveMutatedDNA",
        "system": "MediaTek MT7628AN ver:1 eco:2",
        "model": "TP-Link Archer C50 v4",
        "board_name": "tplink,c50-v4",
        "release": {
                "distribution": "OpenWrt",
                "version": "19.07.3",
                "revision": "r11063-85e04e9f46",
                "target": "ramips/mt76x8",
                "description": "OpenWrt 19.07.3 r11063-85e04e9f46"
        }
}
root@JabbedHaveMutatedDNA:~# cat /etc/config/network

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'

config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option proto 'static'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option delegate '0'
        option ipaddr '192.168.1.2'
        option gateway '192.168.1.1'
        list dns '84.200.69.80'
        list dns '84.200.70.40'
        option ifname 'eth0 eth0.1 eth0.2'

config device 'lan_eth0_1_dev'
        option name 'eth0.1'
        option macaddr 'e8:48:b8:70:bf:a9'

config device 'wan_eth0_2_dev'
        option name 'eth0.2'
        option macaddr 'e8:48:b8:70:bf:aa'

config switch
        option name 'switch0'
        option reset '1'
        option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '1'
        option ports '1 2 3 4 6t'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '2'
        option ports '0 6t'

root@JabbedHaveMutatedDNA:~# cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '11'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option path 'platform/10300000.wmac'
        option htmode 'HT20'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid '37173'
        option wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries '1'
        option key 'PUR387UD'
        option encryption 'psk-mixed'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '36'
        option hwmode '11a'
        option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0'
        option htmode 'VHT80'
        option disabled '1'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
        option device 'radio1'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'Nanobot5GRadDisabled'
        option encryption 'none'

root@JabbedHaveMutatedDNA:~# cat /etc/config/dhcp

config dnsmasq
        option localise_queries '1'
        option rebind_protection '1'
        option rebind_localhost '1'
        option local '/lan/'
        option domain 'lan'
        option expandhosts '1'
        option readethers '1'
        option leasefile '/tmp/dhcp.leases'
        option resolvfile '/tmp/resolv.conf.auto'
        option localservice '1'
        option nonegcache '1'

config dhcp 'lan'
        option interface 'lan'
        option ignore '1'

config dhcp 'wan'
        option interface 'wan'
        option ignore '1'

config odhcpd 'odhcpd'
        option maindhcp '0'
        option leasefile '/tmp/hosts/odhcpd'
        option leasetrigger '/usr/sbin/odhcpd-update'
        option loglevel '4'

This is an old and EOL version, and it is also unsupported now. I'd highly recommend upgrading to 22.03.5 which is the current version. You'll have to reset and reconfigure from scratch (I know, it's a bit of a pain).

This is a bit unusual... what are you trying to achieve here? Was the purpose to make the wan port just another switch port? If so, the preferred method to do this is using the switch config. But there's no reason do worry about that now if you're going to upgrade to 22.03.

EDIT: also, I have moved this into a new topic which is usually better than reviving a 3 year old thread.

1 Like