Different interface routes without PBR

Hi, I recently did this with the help of PBR in this post:

But, I'm having problems with PBR and I'm wondering if this can be done without it. What I'm doing is:
I have 2 lan interfaces lan and lan2 with different DHCP servers 192.168.2.X and 192.168.3.X
I have the default wan interface along with a VPN interface for outgoing traffic
VPN interface has a metric of 10 and wan interface has 20 (for Fallback)
My current default gateway is the VPN interface (as shown by PBR now)
I want lan clients traffic to go through the VPN interface and lan2 traffic to go through wan interface
I have my firewall setup like this:

If I stop PBR, lan2 clients won't get internet connection and lan clients have everything ok.
I think it has to do with routes and default route of the router. Any ideas how to achieve this without PBR?

if this is static, provide the clients with different default GWs ?

You need to do Policy Based Routing and you can also do it with a set of rules/routes for each internet connection.

I tried it, but didn't work. Seems like I must modify the route tables somehow and I don't know how

Can you illustrate a bit more? And if I do this, can I disable PBR?

Insufficient info, to provide a useful reply...

2 Likes

Yes, you can disable PBR for such a simple scenario.

1 Like

Can you please tell me how to do it? Both routing rules and static rules require destination addresses, and I want to route all traffic to different interfaces.

Rules require source interface or source IP addresses. So you can use there the lan2, since vpn has a lower metric and lan automatically routes though vpn. You also need to define the routing table number to lookup.
Then you'll add a static route in the same table as you defined earlier in the rule to use gateway the wan has for the packets captured by the rule above.

2 Likes