Difference when adresses set via DHCP and manually

I actually just did :slight_smile:

Settings > DNS > Conditional Forwarding

Conditional forwarding is for when something other than the Pi is doing DHCP but you want the client stats logged by the pi.

CONDITIONAL FORWARDING

If not configured as your DHCP server, Pi-hole typically won't be able to determine the names of devices on your local network. As a result, tables such as Top Clients will only show IP addresses.

One solution for this is to configure Pi-hole to forward these requests to your DHCP server (most likely your router), but only for devices on your home network. To configure this we will need to know the IP address of your DHCP server and which addresses belong to your local network. Exemplary input is given below as placeholder in the text boxes (if empty).

If your local network spans 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255, then you will have to input 192.168.0.0/24. If your local network is 192.168.47.1 - 192.168.47.255, it will be 192.168.47.0/24 and similar. If your network is larger, the CIDR has to be different, for instance a range of 10.8.0.1 - 10.8.255.255 results in 10.8.0.0/16, whereas an even wider network of 10.0.0.1 - 10.255.255.255 results in 10.0.0.0/8. Setting up IPv6 ranges is exactly similar to setting up IPv4 here and fully supported. Feel free to reach out to us on our Discourse forum in case you need any assistance setting up local host name resolution for your particular system.

You can also specify a local domain name (like fritz.box) to ensure queries to devices ending in your local domain name will not leave your network, however, this is optional. The local domain name must match the domain name specified in your DHCP server for this to work. You can likely find it within the DHCP settings.

Enabling Conditional Forwarding will also forward all hostnames (i.e., non-FQDNs) to the router when "Never forward non-FQDNs" is not enabled.

Use Conditional Forwarding

LOCAL NETWORK IN CIDR NOTATION IP ADDRESS OF YOUR DHCP SERVER (ROUTER) LOCAL DOMAIN NAME (OPTIONAL)

The primary router is doing DHCP in this network... the pihole is purely a DNS server. (unless I have misunderstood how the OP has setup the network)
It's more than stats... it will forward non-FQDN hostnames to the specified upstream DNS server (i.e. the main router) which has local records for the local hostnames.

It looks like you got that right, my German is non existant.
We still have not come up with a way, other than using IPv4, to access Klaus-Desktop.

I don't know how IPv6 works in the UK or Germany, maybe they need it but my answer is to disable it if possible.

Sorry about the delay; the wind gusted to the west for a moment and Spectrum went down.

@eduperez @LilRedDog @psherman
Thanks for your great help !!

What we/you found is, that my problem is definitly DNS driven.
I am fighting against pihole.
I played around with pihole Conditional Forwarding, without success. At the moment share will only work with IP adress instead of name resolution.

Do you think disabling IPV6 will solve my issue ?

It is easy to find out and undo if it does not work.:

LuCI, Interfaces/edit wan and lan/ advanced settings disable 'Delegate IPv6 prefixes' on both. save save and apply.

Interfaces page should now show no IPv6 address.

Status page should show no IPv6 leases about 2/3rds down.

You may need to go to firewall, edit wan and lan and set 'Restrict to address family' to IPv4 only.

OK, finally i/we got it.
I have activated DHCPv6 on the Archer, now both maschines uses the same IPv6 DNS Server.
Disabling IPV6 also solved the problem.

Thnaks again !!!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.