Diagram of connection settings to help understand full configuration

I have difficulty replicating setting from another OpenWRT router.

What I would really love is for Luci to create me a layered diagram that shows connections based on the settings.

I have a working router so I want to replicate it, but when I do (on several different routers) it does not work.

It is simple enough and this page describes the goal well

EXCEPT the working router I have does not have RelayD or any other Relay plugin as far as I can determine, so how come it works?

I does have some interfaces that appear to be unused but I can't be sure, I only just realised a key setting was through WAN and not WWAN on the working router, yet WAN has nothing attached to it or configured in SWITCH settings as far as I can see.

On the working router WAN is configured on 192.168.20.254 which is a dead end, so it seems similar to the second subnet used in relay_configuration above, but no relayD installed and yet it works.

What I struggle with is trying to replicate a OpenWRT router which has one radio and so may have completely different settings to one with two. It means that a setting should not be replicated to be identical.

To complicate matters there is a VPN configured on tun0 but this seems to be a total dead end, I dare not delete it but it is not started so probably a red herring.

I tried the Status screen but it does not show enough to help me understand all the connections.

What I would like is a sort of Pyramid that shows base switch connections and WWAN at the bottom then builds interfaces on them based on settings of IP, Physical and Firewall.

Is there a config file that may help me use a spreadsheet to map out the relationships to help better understand the configuration?

I have tried taking screenshots, then chopping them up but I always seem to miss something.

It is worth noting that OpenWRT is the only router I can have this working on, stock firmwares fail as does DD-WRT.

One other thought is whether I can save settings from one router and restore them to a completely different brand?

I am reluctant to do this because then I do not learn.

What does that mean?

Can you show the config?

What works, exactly?

You copy only the relevant settings like SSID and key, simple.

Maybe I don't understand this phrase.

Did you go to Nework > Intefaces which is where the config is located on the web GUI?

Yes, the config file:

/etc/config/network

Have you seen the page where you download a backup of your config...it's a standard compressed file containing the text files of the configs you seek. :wink:

System > Backup / Flash Firmware

• :warning: You cannot do a 1:1 copy of most the files, as you stated some of them refer to hardware paths (e.g. in the WiFi) - review and selectively copy/paste
  • In most cases, you can copy the firewall
1 Like

Sorry if I have not made myself clear.

Really something similar to what one might diagram out but showing a bit more in settings and layering views by connections (interface or IP etc).

As above explains

Internet connection

I did explain context, I am trying to replicate the settings of a working router to a new install of OpenWrt on a better router. I dare not delete some interfaces in case they are an essential part of the config, e.g. a VPN

A dead end means an alley that goes nowhere, i.e. it may not be relevant.

On the other hand if you look at the relayD config one might look at interfaces and not know why they created the 192.168.2.0 client subnet.

Yes I did but they only show certain settings and not the connections between settings.

That is useful but my knowledge of all the settings means not all is clear, but I will have another go to see if I can use it for the basis of drawing what I have in mind.

I did dissect the zip from a backup to try and make sense of it, but did not think I could see all in just one file. I did try copying some of the settings but getting my dead brain around virtual names that differed if the device I am trying to copy is vastly different, e.g. if it has an ADSL port, a WAN port and two Radios, it will be very different from a cable router with one radio and just a WAN port.

That is why I would like a picture.

It seems to be the real strength of OpenWRT is the granular ability of configuration of almost every component, the downside of this can be the things that can be done simply on stock firmware.

Is there a reason you're making a post for nearly every sentence?

It's difficult to follow.

What does this mean?

Look at ALL the files.

Yea, I don't understand. Hopefully someone else can assist.

EDIT:

Maybe this will help:

1 Like

Well that is how you replied so I figured that is how you wanted it.

???

Perhaps I'm mistaken...but I only made one post in the reply to you...you made 9 to me...but OK...

Did the links help?

I count 8 quotes taken out of context, some of which were explained in original post. I elaborated on your 8 questions and they seem to have been lost in the translation.

I think the best way I take this forward is to cut and paste information from the different parts of OpenWrt, maybe comparing to a second router, I have started this.

The issue is one of my ignorance but hopefully I can make it easier for others when I am done. The posts where you referred me to places were helpful because when I first looked at them I was more of an OpenWRT virgin, so well worth another look.

Thanks

1 Like