DHCPREQUEST & DHCPACK loop for chromecast

My chrome cast is continually doing a DHCPREQUEST, and (?) ignoring the DHCPACK:

Fri Jul 2 17:18:41 2021 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[23935]: DHCPREQUEST(br-lan) 192.168.1.149 b0:2a:43:2b:4f:54
Fri Jul 2 17:18:41 2021 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[23935]: DHCPACK(br-lan) 192.168.1.149 b0:2a:43:2b:4f:54 Chromecast

It is the only device on the network that is doing this. It loops roughly every 15 seconds. I reset the chromecast itself but that didn't solve it. Is this an issue of the chromecast or might there be something wrong in my settings (strange that it would then only be wrong for this specific device). I do not have any static leases for it.

DHCP interoperability issues are relatively rare, but they happen from time to time. dnsmasq, as currently used by OpenWrt, however is most common DHCPd in the consumer market (present on basically every consumer router, albeit typically in horribly outdated and insecure versions), so it feels easier to point the finger towards the misbehaving client device (and there are quite a few very, very broken DHCP clients in proprietary devices), than OpenWrt itself - but you won't know for sure without a packet sniffer and checking the handshake in detail.

2 Likes

neice has one... behaves ok... list your wireless chipset... probably low-ack or similar L1/L2 issue... (has a thing for it's doh tho' so if your doing anything to upset it there that may also be related)

2 Likes

I'm using the Nighthawk 7800 so a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9984 802.11bgn chipset.
I'm not really bothered as the device seems to still work albeit it seems to suffer from buffer issues sometimes. Mostly curious if I should start looking into all my Openwrt settings.