DHCP settings cached somewhere?

I'm running an openVPN network with LEDE very successful for at least half a year now. Not sure when I started using LEDE, could be 1 year as well. Anyway, LEDE is definitely official release ready and even more stable than several original vendor firmware I've tested.

After saying that, to point out my gratitude to the great job LEDE developers are doing. I think we can't stress out that too often!

Here's the thing:

After I found out using VirtualBox my openVPN connections can do 300Mbps with highest encryption settings, while my best WRT3200ACM could do a max of 110Mbps (with LEDE firmware) I got rid of most of the routers and compiled my own LEDE (stripped to the minimum I need) to use on virtual box. After I got 1 machine up and running, I just copied the virtual machine image to the next virtual box on another machine, edit the settings properly and it worked. I than copied it to a 3nd virtual box on a 3rd machine, edit the settings properly and it worked, except disabling the DHCP for IPv6.

On Machine 1 and 2 I set all the settings for IPv6 to "disabled" and it worked. But upon reboot on machine 3 it's back in "server" mode.

next attempt I deleted all ipv6 from the /etc/config/dhcp and reboot
next attempt I changed the ipv6 from the /etc/config/dhcp to 'disabled' and reboot
next attempt I first deleted all from the dhcp file and than in the GUI it still said server mode so before
restart I 'disabled' it in GUI additional to deleting from the dhcp file and reboot.

Nothing seems to work. Each time upon boot, it's back.

Now I can simply RESET the whole settings of course. Would take me probably under 1 hour to get all settings right. So this is not a high priority. But I simply want to understand how LEDE works. From somewhere the settings must be cached I assume so upon reboot these settings are put back in place.

Where is that location?

Thanks for reading my message and thank you once again for LEDE. I will now reset the virtual machine to be able to set things properly, but please if you know the answer, inform back to me. I really love to understand LEDE completely and how it works. It's an amazing piece of software.

The best openVPN connections I got with my fastest routers and stock firmware were 65Mbps VPN on 128bit encryption and with LEDE I manage 300Mbps on 384bit encryption.
My DH is 2048 on LEDE, 1024 on stock.

It's just amazing what the LEDE devs got there! And know what's the best: once up and running it never fails! :slight_smile:

/etc/config/network likely contains a wan interface for ipv6. Something like:

config interface 'wan6'
        option ifname 'eth0.2'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'

Remove that or least remove the dhcpv6 settings from there.

In DHCP config set both dhcpv6 and RA to disabled, as there are two different "dhcp-like" methods for ipv6.

Hello Hnyman, thank you for your response.

I did what you advised, I think.

/etc/config/network deleted once the dhcpv4 line and once the wan 6 in a whole.
whatever I delete there stays deleted even after reboot.

In the /etc/config/dhcp I set both ra and dhcpv6 to disabled, to find it set to server
after reboot.

I deleted the lines, also back to server after reboot.

So I keep 2 virtual box instances running now. One after reset working as should.
And the other one running with the hiccup because I want to know what's preventing me from disabled the dhcpv6 . The test-virtualbox-instance.

Any other ideas why lede might revert back to the old /etc/config/dhcp and not keep the changes upon reboot?

Those specific details sound like something related to "uci-defaults":

It might be the "uci-defaults" script that runs for odhcpd on the first boot after flash. If the script doesn't get marked to have run ok and get deleted, it might run again at the next boot.

See the script file at https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=blob;f=package/network/services/odhcpd/files/odhcpd.defaults;h=e184da90acbb060a36ffe0cde9df241002344618;hb=refs/heads/master

That gets installed into /etc/uci-defaults directory along other similar scripts, but it is supposed to run once and then get deleted so that it does not run on the subsequent boots.

See https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci#uci-defaults

I am not quite sure how uci-defaults work in virtualbox disk environment. In a normal router the dir /etc/uci-defaults contains severla script after flash, they run once and get deleted (those scripts that did run ok). After the running ok, the script gets deleted, so the directory should normally be empty in a running router (after the first boot has completed).

you're right, uci-defaults is empty.

other hidden places where previous info is stored?