DHCP packet received on eth0.2 which has no address

I keep getting these messages in the log continuously.

Fri Apr 24 16:05:17 2020 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[480]: DHCP packet received on eth0.2 which has no address

eth0.2 is associated with the WAN interface.

The ipv4 WAN actually uses PPPoe. I could probably just disable the WAN6 interface altogether, but I'd like to understand what's happening and how to address the problem

This dhcp is irrelevant to IPv6, as you are getting it to dnsmasq which is dhcp server for ipv4.
If you have some modem between your router and the ISP make sure that it is not trying to acquire settings from DHCP. The same if you are using PPPoE passthrough.

My setup is very weird tbh. I've NEVER had a modem at this house. Of course, if it's not here, they must keep it somewhere else....on the freaking utility pole, I don't know lol.

Anyway, I set the eth0.2 interface to ignore in /etc/dnsmasq.conf and the messages seem to have to have stopped

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

1 Like

Sorry, of course

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.