DGS-1510 (Broadcom Switches)

Just a little memo to myself and anyone else who might be interested ...

In the last months support some really cool guys developed OpenWrt support for RTL838x based switches. This was achieved with the Realtek SDK. It seems as if Broadcom has some similar SDK that floats around github. I collected the stuff at https://github.com/plappermaul/broadcom-switches

Known devices that might work with OpenWRT some day:

Layer 3 Swtches - BCM56340 Helix4 - Dualcore 32 Bit ARM9
D-Link DGS-1510-52X - 48x1GE - 4xSFP+ 10GE -  32 MB Flash -  256 MB RAM
Dell N2048          - 48x1GE - 2xSFP+ 10GE - 256 MB Flash - 1024 MB RAM

Of course the SDK might support other devices but currently I have only those 2 for basic checks

2 Likes

Would be great to see support for the DGS-1510 family

Don't hold your breath.
This situation hasn't changed over the past two years, there still is no activity on this and I wouldn't expect that to change within the coming two+ years either.

Yes, it would be possible to support Marvell or Broadcom based switch SOCs, but someone will have to actually jump in head first into developement - and spend months++ working on it, forward porting, cleaning up, submitting mainline. No one currently is, chances for that to change are non-zero, but small.

Even Realtek rtl838x/ rtl839x/ rtl93xx support is rather basic and effectively on life support, rather than being vibrant, but at least those devices are supported, right now. Unless you are the one driving development, don't bet on future device support, that's a losing game - get something that is supported (at least in the main branch) right now (and there you have a selection of rtl838x device at your disposal).