Device slows down when downloading files (raspberry pi)

Hi, a few days ago I installed openwrt on the raspberry pi, all very nice but I found 2 problems:

1. When I download files from the internet the raspberry becomes unresponsive and generally the whole local network slows down, even trying simply to navigate in luci everything is very slow.
  2. Using sqm the quality of my connection on dslreports drops from A to C, I tried several scripts but the situation does not seem to change. In addition, I noticed another thing, after several days that the raspberry remains powered on, however, I get back to having problems with bufferbloat, once I reboot it everything seems to work, but after a few days the problem recurs.

Maybe it's a software problem or just the raspberry that isn't powerful enough.
Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Oh I forgot to mention that my connection speed is about 16Mb/s in download, so it's not very fast.
The slow down problem when downloading files happens whether sqm is enabled or not.

Likely, especially if we are talking about SQM with 100+ Mbit/s speeds.

You could run top or htop and monitor the CPU usage while downloading or browsing luci.

What kind of line speed we are talking here?
And wired or wireless?

In both cases you have quite high utilization.
With SQM it exceeds the limits of the CPU.
sirq is high, but that is expected in Raspi.
This is CPU utilization on my raspberry running raspbian downloading a big file at 3,25MB/s plus running its regular tasks.

top - 21:15:37 up 17 min,  2 users,  load average: 3,55, 2,31, 1,44
Tasks:  85 total,   2 running,  57 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  6,1 us, 33,1 sy,  0,0 ni,  8,6 id,  0,3 wa,  0,0 hi, 51,8 si,  0,0 st

For the first I am sure it is the cause.
For the second I cannot say, since I am not running OpenWrt nor using it as a router.

Looking at the specs and the performance of similar devices, I would guess it should do for 16Mbps; but I have not tested that device myself.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.