Designing OpenWrt device from the (nearly) ground up

Already done :slight_smile:

Now, I'll have to look at the platform.sh and try and follow the path it takes. I am finally learning how to make subtargets and trying to re-org the octeon tree.

The way this is setup now, upgrading just means replacing the kernel BIN only? Since I created an opkg repo, if an existing user just copies the kernel over to /dev/mmcblk1p1/ItusxxxxxImage, I shouldn't need to do anyting with the root image, correct? Any updates can/should be done via the opkg repo for packages?

No, you must implement writing both writing kernel to FAT32 partition and rootfs to partition 2. Upgrading packages via opkg is not officially supported nor recommended: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/opkg

Mass upgrade of all โ€œupgradableโ€ packages is not a good idea, as opkg only indicates that there is a newer version of the package, but does not do any further evaluation. Exceeding the flash space or failing to download all needed upgrades might brick the router.

And here: Updating packages on LEDE with OPKG

Gotcha, but then how do Upgrades work, if I'm dd'ing the root to the /dev and the kernel.bin goes in the FAT partition, where are things saved to - or is this something I'll have to figure out?

Thank you for all the assistance @danijeltudek and the rest of you! I'll close this thread out and work through the rest of the issues/questions in new ones (so they can be easily found).

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.