Decent wireguard providers or VPS suggestions

Did you actually test it? I'm using it with the trial, openvpn and wireguard are working nicely with OpenWrt.

1 Like

I feel they are more focused on API access (hence two free VMs) than the WebUI. I wish AWS Lightsail offered one free forever instance it's the cleanest/easiest WebUI to get going with a simple single VM instance (thanks to Mike Coleman, who's now with Google ;)).

This is expired deal, but I believe I've seen deals much better than that (US $80 for 3 years): https://stacksocial.com/sales/private-internet-access-vpn-subscription-3-years

2 Likes

I was not able to... they lied about supporting 6 connections... (and then tried to make be pay in order to test what they say is supported) lying is a deal breaker for me... what else are they lying about... not keeping personal data?

1 Like

Yup, there was a 36mo/$80 deal, in the past, but it's indeed expired.

well... i've paid for 3 months mullvad... (paypal... fantastic)

big points for having an openwrt guide;
https://mullvad.net/en/help/running-wireguard-router/

sadly it's a bit dated/sketchy... happy to sort this out
( curl process bared no resemblance to wg generation page )
( WGZONE without adding interface? )
( set dns server on lan interface? yet address is different from the wg generation page )
( references WG feilds that don't exist/are now elsewhere in luci )
( no easily accessible chat support )

well see what the email support is like while I sort out the config stuff...

o no... no response or support for a new user after an hour... not looking good...

1 Like

I pay every month with automatic payments from paypal. Since it does not give me discounts there is no point in buying X months in advance like most other vpns.

That tutorial is less dated than (but otherwise similar to) AzireVPN's tutorial

afaik the curl command is required so they can link your account number to the device's public key, this is a non-standard step for normal wireguard where you own both nodes, but VPN providers need to do that to know that the device trying to connect is a paying customer.

The guide is creating a WGINTERFACE and adding it to WGZONE.

2 Likes

i'm guessing that was created before they had the;
'WireGuard configuration file generator'
generator page...

and as I tried to follow one after the other it was very confusing...

it also has no handy links to the server addresses or keys... so you are kind of left floating half way through...
(same on the Azire guide it seems on part3>step:6... they assume you know where the list of endpoint-key mappings is)

small issues I guess... easily sorted...

1 Like

Yeah the config from the generator has the IP already configured so there is no need to do the curl command.

Hm, that explains why I don't even remember that documentation, I think I just pulled the wireguard config file from the config file generator and then loaded the keys/IPs/whatever manually in Luci

2 Likes

right... mullvad > refund ... 1 hour to get support as a new user is not so good...

(they responded quickly to the refund request tho')

iVPN or Azire next...
( iVPN seem to offer stats on server load which is good )
( Azire seems to offer a free 24 hour test period which is more than enough for advanced users to checkout most things they need to... edit: nope... they say it's free but wont let you in without a creditcard/payment or clearly state what will be charged when... thats a little misleading of them... lol their support was quick to respond but had no idea about the 24 hour free testing period hahaha.. written in their FAQ > how do I get started LOL )

Our FAQ may contain obsolete information and would need an update.

We suggest you to buy a month worth of time, and to test our service. You can be refunded without question during 7 days (except with Cash and cryptocurrencies).

this is known in the industry as bait-and-switch they have since updated their faq... so i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt next time around based on this and other user positive feedback...

iVPN it is...

1 Like

I've been using AzireVPN for over a year now and I am very happy with it.

2 Likes

that's some high expectations.

If you find a provider that meets your standards I might switch to it too.

2 Likes

yeah, i can see how it might seem unrealistic... but

• no email to say they recieved mine(ticket)?
  • support staff were pretty rude... nowhere did it say I should include my account-id when I emailed support... then the guy was complaining about it... telling me that 1 hour is 3mins...

I don't feel my expectations are too unrealistic all they needed to say was "ignore the guide, configure manually" or "ticketnumber: X we will get back to you within 4 hours"

anyways... I found it... iVPN...

• cheap monthly setup/test fee $6 (flexible payment methods a bonus)
  • chat support (tested and working)
    (edit: looks like I got lucky with timing and this went red straight after and has been red for 30 hours... so if you get lucky they may have chat support reddit-clarification)
  • simple key generation + servers list
  • 7 concurrent connections on the upper-tier plan
  • most responsive server from the list so far
  • separate "query-id" for support tickets so you dont have to spread your real "account-id" (mullvad did not have this)
  • superb linux 'apps' for most distros

all the basics that should be there are there...

1 Like

I'm probably too used to be treated like dirt by the support people of software and service providers we use at work.
I'm talking of businness-size contracts that cost much more than just 5-15 euros per month, mind me.

3 Likes

suspect just caught them at a busy time... having worked in IT support... I/we know whats going on at the other end...

i'm sure based on the other reviews mullvad and Azire are pretty decent providers... and I haven't really tested real world throughput on several endpoints yet... which is probably more important than all the other factors combined... next to cost and actual privacy standards...

1 Like

I second Mullvad. Been with them for over a year and have been really happy with the service and support.

1 Like

I have Keepsolid using their WireGuard and OpenVPN had a deal for $39 for lifetime 5 clients via stack social. It works but they do not have port forwarding via the VPN.

Also have Mullvad using WireGuard and OpenVPN which is also very good and has easy port forwarding over their VPN , but is not very cheap

2 Likes

Still looking for VPS suggestions... (that accept alternative payment methods)

linode apparently accept more payment methods AFTER they have your card on file but they've blocked me after the initial attempt was declined once by my bank...

oracle were a little more decent and said I can come back and retry (if you wanted to use another card or something) at any time...

hetzner list paypal as a payment method... and if they support openwrt it makes sense to try them first

i'm a little confused about their products though... am I supposed to choose 'cloud' for a simple VPS?

https://www.hetzner.com/

well that was good... clicking on cloud and saying paypal gives me access to a console with nothing provisioned... much easier than oracle or linode thats for sure... (have emailed/used their cloud support form, asking if cloud is the right product before provisioning)

hmmm was it not clear that I asked how to now provision and if I was charged?

the link I clicked said 'Starting at 2.96 €'... why is he telling me cents... very confusing...

lost-in-translation
> hi...
>
> i am new and just registered my clicking the cloud>signup>paypal
> (just want to test out simple vps for a month was recommended by the openwrt forum)
>
> was I charged something?
>
> it ended with a minimal user control panel and I cant see where i'm supposed to
> access/provision my VPS
>
> what am I supposed to do?
>
> very confused...
>
> thanks...

Unfortunately we do not have test server that you can use, but since the cloud servers are billed at an hourly rate you can do all your testing on it for a few hours and this would only cost you a few cents.

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Toby

trying to buy and start this... but for some reason they cant tell me how to do it...

ok... three emails later... i've been given a link to the proper control panel... all sorted... (might be a good idea having link to this page at the end of the sign-up process... I was under the impression when I clicked "signup" under that option... it would instantiate one for me or at least show me how after providing the payment method)

for anyone else... signing up will dump you in 'accounts'... you cannot manage 'projects' from there... you need to go to https://console.hetzner.cloud/projects (for cloud) to actually spin up something you will then pay for based on usage... the prices listed in the product offerings are just samples... and not a 'set-amount' that you are charged pre-instance

who is us? are you talking about trying a guide or a provider?
(you can read about my attempt to try with azire above the other two may need feedback from other people as I signed up with a good VPN/wireguard service now... maybe if it ever expires I can test the others ~ actually i've only signed up for a month... so perhaps there is some scope to test some more if they have reasonable testing offerings without lock-ins or deception)

Not sure I actually have a CC set up with Oracle ... If I do, it expired a long time ago.

1 Like

First, I dont get paid to promote mullvad this is just my personal experience and a few bullet points I thought up after using their service.

Mullvad works great for me.

Some interesting notes on Mullvad you don't commonly see:

1 You sign up for and use Mullvad all without giving them an email address. Yes that's right no email address or any sort of identification is asked for or required when signing up. They just give you a 25 digit id code that kind of works IMO kind of like a UUID does and you use that to sign in. The only time you ever give them an email address is if you desire tech support and do not want to use the chat feature. Almost all other VPN providers require at least a valid email address when signing up, if not more! I dont know of any other VPN that does not require a valid email address and to me this is a HUGE security bonus for me. I realize its easy enough to sign up for a free secure email address somewhere but I worry that I might do the classic mistake and email them from the wrong email address thus exposing me. With Mullvad this isnt even an option unless I need tech support which I have never needed to use.

2 Mullvad is one of the very few VPNs to use openVPN or wireguard AND fully support port forwarding so apps like transmission show "open" when checking network connectivity. for me at least, this was a must have deal breaker. VPNs like expressVPN don't support port forwarding which cripples download speed on most p2p.

3 Mullvad is 5 euro a month which is currently about $6.10 USD a month after conversion rate. They also do not offer 3 month or 6 month of 1 year deals its just a flat fate you can also pay by the month or any number of months at a time. a lot of VPNs dont allow paying by the month and if the do there is a large penalty for this option.

4 I believe Mullvad is owned and operated by persons outside US jurisdiction need I say more.

5 speed. Traditionally we all know VPNS in general have a reputation of killing download and upload speed. Not always the case but typically it is. I can tell you that the connection I have with Mullvad comes darn close to saturates my upload and download every time I use it. It did take a few tests involving a few different Mullvad servers before I found the quickest one near me but not that that's done I have a connection to the workd thats at least 90% as fast as I was with no VPN at all. Pretty good IMO.

I know there are other VPNs which are cheaper. There are others which have port forwarding. There are others which are outside the US. BUt there are not much other which has all these combination of features.

3 Likes